News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Making a Murderer - Steven Avery story

Started by Berkut, January 05, 2016, 09:49:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Yeah, I just posted this hear because I know we had talked about the Serial case in this thread, it doesn't have much to do with Avery except in the broadest of strokes.

I think Avery is almost certainly guilty, and deserves to be in jail.

I think Syed is maybe 50% likely to be guilty, and 100% should never have been convicted.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

Dassey's conviction was just overturned.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

OttoVonBismarck

I saw that--and I'll say, I do think Dassey's conviction was always more suspect. He was interrogated, as a minor, without a guardian present. Albeit my memory of the documentary has faded, but I thought his lawyer agreed to the interrogation (the New York Times article I'm reading suggests there was a custodial interrogation that occurred with neither parental or counsel signing off.) Or maybe they did, but he law is that even if counsel signs off on it, it's improper for police to interview a 16 year old without a guardian or counsel present? I dunno.

As I understand it, because Dassey later refused to testify the prosecution chose not to use his interview as evidence since it'd be impossible to use at trial since they couldn't call Dassey to the stand to testify to it, so I don't believe there's anything in the overturning of this conviction that changes anything in regard to Avery's case.