Main Menu

Fitness 2016

Started by mongers, December 20, 2015, 09:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: alfred russel on April 17, 2016, 08:45:23 AM
Quote from: mongers on April 17, 2016, 07:46:28 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on April 16, 2016, 10:11:18 PM
So for something of a fitness test before some summer climbing, I went to Stone Mountain for some up and downs. The trail is just over a mile, with 800 ft. of elevation gain. I went up and down 8 times in 6.5 hours. I was happy with that, but my legs are in a bit of pain now. I'm expecting they might be tomorrow as well.

:cool:

So that's 1 1/4 mile of ascent and equally 1 1/4 miles of descent; impressive.

I feel it today.  :blush:

You would, it's roughly like going up and down my stairs here 600 times.  Which doing 40-50 times a day, I find tiring. :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Martinus

My cardio stats this week (plus 2 personal trainings):

Zanza

Not a fitness expert, but I think that unless you do very high intensity training five minutes won't do anything.

Martinus

Quote from: Zanza on April 17, 2016, 01:58:17 PM
Not a fitness expert, but I think that unless you do very high intensity training five minutes won't do anything.

The five minutes was just a warm up before the personal training. The other three are what counts.

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on April 17, 2016, 01:43:35 PM
My cardio stats this week (plus 2 personal trainings):

If those stats are from running, they might be a bit generous in terms of calorie burn. A rule of thumb is 100-120 calories for every 1600m run, though this also depends on other factors, like your weight, speed, hills, wind, etc.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

mongers

I've never understood the calories metric.

Brazen

Quote from: Martinus on April 17, 2016, 02:19:09 PM
Quote from: Zanza on April 17, 2016, 01:58:17 PM

The five minutes was just a warm up before the personal training. The other three are what counts.
I make that 10 minute kilometres or 16 minute miles so I'd say the burn's a little high given you're not overweight. Are you jogging or power walking, as that'd make a difference too.

My last slow run was 11.7 cals a minute at 14'18" minute miles and I'm a shade below obese.

Martinus

I am a bit overweight at the moment (91 kg at 180 cm :( which gives 28 BMI) and this is half-jogging/half-power walking (the machine keeps my pulse at 140-150 at all times and adjusts both the speed and the incline if I drop below).

Edit: And yeah the incline was betwee 4.0 and 6.0 most of the time, so it was not on a flat surface.

Legbiter

Quote from: Martinus on April 18, 2016, 10:17:56 AM
I am a bit overweight at the moment (91 kg at 180 cm :( which gives 28 BMI) and this is half-jogging/half-power walking (the machine keeps my pulse at 140-150 at all times and adjusts both the speed and the incline if I drop below).

Just do free weights (squats, presses, deadlifts, etc) laced with the occaisonal tabata sprint 3-4 times a week. And cut back on the snacks, candy and alcohol.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Martinus

I am doing weights etc. during the personal training (usually twice a week).

Cutting on booze is the hardest part.  :ph34r:

Legbiter

The next level shit to try out after getting the diet and lifting part right is intermittent fasting. Several variations exist, find one that works. Personally I skip breakfast (except for coffee) and have lunch and dinner.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Maladict

So, unexpectedly, walking is going to be the big thing for me this year.
I participated in the 75th edition of the Four Days marches 25 years ago, and recently over a few drinks we decided to sign up for the 100th edition and actually participate if we both got in. Chances of that are fairly small, only 50,000 are admitted. And of course, instead of winning the lottery, this is the kind of stuff where I beat the odds  :(

Three months to go until 4x50km, I haven't walked over 20km in at least a decade. This is going to hurt.

lustindarkness

You better start walking! That sounds painful and fun at the same time. That's a lot of podcast and audio books LOL.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Maladict

Quote from: lustindarkness on April 18, 2016, 12:23:11 PM
You better start walking! That sounds painful and fun at the same time. That's a lot of podcast and audio books LOL.

No shit. I'll need a full day of every week from now on, and I'll have have to take a week off in July, and most likely still fail.  <_<

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on April 18, 2016, 02:31:03 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on April 18, 2016, 12:23:11 PM

No shit. I'll need a full day of every week from now on, and I'll have have to take a week off in July, and most likely still fail.  <_<

Mal, that's quite a challenge you've got yourself into, speaking as a fellow cyclist. :D

By coincidence I'm hoping to do some bits of walking over the next couple of weeks.