Americans have been stripped of the right to walk

Started by jimmy olsen, December 10, 2015, 07:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on December 10, 2015, 09:27:34 PM
Quote from: mongers on December 10, 2015, 09:23:45 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 10, 2015, 09:15:48 PM
Lame. It isn't like America is Britain where you can't officially walk unless you are in a zebra crossing. What kind of nonsense thought up pedestrians not having the right of way?

:blink:

Pedestrians here do have the unlicenced right of way to use roads unlike vehicles.
You don't have to use zebra crossings, but are advised to by the highway code, the large majority of its rules relating to walkers are aren't legally binding, only a few are, like not walking on motorways which is covered by specific legislations.

Pfft. If a pedestrian in London tries to assert a right of way, outside of a zebra crossing, he gets a torrent of abuse which he will answer more than in kind.

In civilized countries, like say the USA, cars better slow the fuck down when they see a pedestrian crossing. Even in a metropolis like NYC.
London on its own takes up 90% of the country's cunt quota. Film at 11.
██████
██████
██████

Monoriu

Pedestrians have right of way on sidewalks.  Vehicles have right on way on motorways.  If a pedestrian tries to cross a vehicle road that is not, say, a zebra crossing, he needs to give way to cars. 

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on December 11, 2015, 01:11:43 AM
Pedestrians have right of way on sidewalks.  Vehicles have right on way on motorways.  If a pedestrian tries to cross a vehicle road that is not, say, a zebra crossing, he needs to give way to cars. 

Well I was always told the pedestrian always has the right of way regardless of how illegally they may be jaywalking.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on December 11, 2015, 01:21:09 AM

Well I was always told the pedestrian always has the right of way regardless of how illegally they may be jaywalking.

Then I suggest, for the sake of your health, you change your mindset when you visit Hong Kong/China :contract:

Eddie Teach

You've already told us about the Chinese proclivity toward hit and run.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

While I generally respect pedestrians, I have learned to hate those who like to lean off the curb in anticipation of crossing and make drivers like me nervous they're going to fall into the roadway.  :mad:

Martinus

Really? That seems strange and potentially quite lethal.  :huh:

Under Polish law, pedestrians only have a right of way on zebra crossing. That does not mean the driver cannot be held liable for injuring a jaywalking pedestrian but for that you would either need to prove intent or recklessness (the latter meaning that the driver was essentially breaking the law somehow, e.g. by speeding or DUI).

Martinus

So wait, I misread the original article Tim posted. Was the woman crossing a busy road with her kids *not* on a zebra crossing? What a cunt. Even if noone was hurt, she should be charged with reckless endangerment and have social services take her kids away from her.

Martinus

I agree with Mono. What kind of nonsense would give pedestrians the right of way outside of zebra crossing.

Martinus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on December 10, 2015, 08:30:40 PM
When I was in school, they used to teach people how to be good pedestrians. Safety and etiquette.

Boil it down and what that woman in the article did was stupid and dangerous. Yeah, it sucked that the crosswalk was .3 miles away, but avoiding erratic actions around drivers operating vehicles is simple common sense.

Yeah. She should petition her local authorities to build a crossing near the bus stop (preferably a high raise crossing so it does not interfere with the traffic).

Agelastus

Quote from: Martinus on December 11, 2015, 01:53:48 AM

I agree with Mono. What kind of nonsense would give pedestrians the right of way outside of zebra crossing.

The term "jaywalking" is rarely used, and there is no law preventing such an act. In England, Wales and Scotland it is legal to cross (or indeed, walk along) all roads except motorways (where pedestrians and slow vehicles are not permitted), and roads with the "No Pedestrians" sign displayed. The Highway Code contains additional rules for crossing a road safely, but these are recommendations and not legally enforceable, although as with other advisory parts of the Highway Code compliance or otherwise can be used to establish liability in civil law proceedings such as insurance claims.

When crossing a road, pedestrians are advised to wait until it is safe to cross. If a pedestrian is crossing the road across a side street where a car is about to turn, vehicles should give way to the pedestrian. In UK schools children are taught to cross roads safely through the Green Cross Code. British children are taught to "Stop, Look, Listen and Think" before crossing a road, as demonstrated in the Arrive Alive campaign.

Apparently we do here in Britain (in a specific circumstance anyway.)

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

garbon

I don't think that's the case. I mean drivers aren't allowed to hit pedestrians but pedestrians still aren't actually allowed to just cross the street however/whenever they want.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Martinus on December 11, 2015, 01:50:47 AM
So wait, I misread the original article Tim posted. Was the woman crossing a busy road with her kids *not* on a zebra crossing? What a cunt. Even if noone was hurt, she should be charged with reckless endangerment and have social services take her kids away from her.

That was the entire point of the article. To show how we have made walking, a crazy hard thing to do.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on December 11, 2015, 07:11:29 AM

I don't think that's the case. I mean drivers aren't allowed to hit pedestrians but pedestrians still aren't actually allowed to just cross the street however/whenever they want.

True...but that is what I said. Drivers are supposed to yield to pedestrians no matter what. Pedestrians can still be ticketed for jaywalking.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."