Zuckerberg Pledges 99% of Facebook Wealth "to Advance Humanity"

Started by Jacob, December 01, 2015, 06:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on December 07, 2015, 01:26:52 PM
From what I understand, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation has been doing some pretty good things with the Microsoft billions. If Zuckerberg ends up in that range, then that's a pretty good thing IMO.

Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is fantastic.  But it is also a registered charity, and it's goals are somewhat more mainstream and easy to quantify (like its efforts to eradicate malaria and fight HIV).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Berkut

From what I understand, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation has been doing some pretty good things with the Microsoft billions. If Zuckerberg ends up in that range, then that's a pretty good thing IMO.

Indeed.

I think there is a systemic problem in America that is resulted in a gross concentration of wealth in the mega-wealthy. The solution is not to take it away from them, but I cannot help but appreciate when some fraction of them recognize that the best thing they can do with the bulk of it is stuff like this...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Martinus

Quote from: Berkut on December 07, 2015, 09:37:47 AM
Wow Marty, you sure are working mighty hard to avoid giving any credit to the guy at all.

Of course he is smart - duh, we know that. And being smart, he is going to dedicate his money to the causes that he cares about in a smart manner. Again, duh.

But fundamentally, this is a very great thing. The guy is going to see his ridiculous wealth is used for a purpose that he finds noble, and will hopefully have a tangible effect on humanity.

He can do that in good faith, while at the same time doing so in a manner that protects the assets from simply going to the US government. Again...duh.

That is why I said I reserve my credit until I see what he does with that. My point is not that he is a crook, but that your praises are premature.

Valmy

This is a little different though. Zuckerberg is trying to fund technology that changes the world rather than charitable work. It is a little different than the usual philanthropy stuff.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on December 07, 2015, 03:16:40 PM
That is why I said I reserve my credit until I see what he does with that. My point is not that he is a crook, but that your praises are premature.

He has a grand vision he is funding. It may go nowhere. He is not giving food to starving children or anything. It is a little different than the usual 'billionaire gives away all his money' trope. I think his motivation is sincere.

I am just stunned Siege is not for this but instead wishes it was all being spent buying up skyscrapers in Manhattan or buying stocks or whatever. I thought he was for the singularity  :mad:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on December 07, 2015, 03:24:50 PM
This is a little different though. Zuckerberg is trying to fund technology that changes the world rather than charitable work. It is a little different than the usual philanthropy stuff.

I guess we'll see how it pans out.