Should the Edmonton Eskimos have to change their name?

Started by Barrister, December 01, 2015, 01:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on December 01, 2015, 04:12:00 PM
Quote from: Valmy on December 01, 2015, 04:07:09 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on December 01, 2015, 04:06:24 PM
Of course they should.

They should have to? I don't know. Strikes me as censorship.

It's only censorship if "should have to" means mandated by government action, no?

If "should have to" means "by dint of public opinion and good taste" then it wouldn't be censorship, right?

True but then they wouldn't have to. It would just be tacky and stupid if they didn't. But no football club would be that stupid.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Jacob on December 01, 2015, 04:12:00 PM
Quote from: Valmy on December 01, 2015, 04:07:09 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on December 01, 2015, 04:06:24 PM
Of course they should.

They should have to? I don't know. Strikes me as censorship.

It's only censorship if "should have to" means mandated by government action, no?

If "should have to" means "by dint of public opinion and good taste" then it wouldn't be censorship, right?

I agree - I think they ought to change the name, out of basic politeness and in the interests of good PR.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

LaCroix

if the edmonton eskimos can't bother/don't want to pay off the eskimos so they keep quiet, then sure - change it

Barrister

Quote from: LaCroix on December 01, 2015, 04:32:32 PM
if the edmonton eskimos can't bother/don't want to pay off the eskimos so they keep quiet, then sure - change it

It's the CFL.  The Eskimos are perhaps the richest team in the league, but they don't have money to go running around and buying people off.

And the Edmonton Eskimos football club dates all the way back to 1910 (and the usage of Eskimo / Esquiamo for rugby teams from Edmonton goes back even earlier).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

I wonder when the Roman Curia complains about St. Louis Cardinals...

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Meh, Cardinals and Vikings are job descriptions, not ethnicities.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on December 01, 2015, 04:42:29 PM

I hope this kind of thing only applies to colonized indigenous peoples. I don't want Japan complaining about teenage mutant ninja turtles.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Martinus

No, the answer is that you only get to complain if your culture is retarded. It's the same with country names - you only get to insist you should be called Myanmar or Moldova if you are a shithole.

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on December 01, 2015, 04:46:43 PM
Quote from: Martinus on December 01, 2015, 04:42:29 PM

I hope this kind of thing only applies to colonized indigenous peoples. I don't want Japan complaining about teenage mutant ninja turtles.

That's cultural appropriation.

Valmy

LaCroix

Quote from: Barrister on December 01, 2015, 04:37:05 PMIt's the CFL.  The Eskimos are perhaps the richest team in the league, but they don't have money to go running around and buying people off.

And the Edmonton Eskimos football club dates all the way back to 1910 (and the usage of Eskimo / Esquiamo for rugby teams from Edmonton goes back even earlier).

has there never been an agreement between the edmonton eskimos and the canadian eskimos re: the name? while that's possible, i'd be kinda surprised if that were the case. any $$ amount wouldn't need to break the edmonton eskimo bank account. why would the canadian eskimos demand an unreasonable amount?

times change. UND's sioux dated to around the 1930s. i don't see time as a factor for keeping a sports team name.

Valmy

There are no such people as Canadian Eskimos. Eskimos only live in Alaska it seems.

Valmy

Quote from: LaCroix on December 01, 2015, 04:48:10 PM
UND's sioux dated to around the 1930s. i don't see time as a factor for keeping a sports team name.

But...TRADITION!

LaCroix

Quote from: Valmy on December 01, 2015, 04:50:03 PMBut...TRADITION!

right? it's one of the bigger non-issues today. people like/dislike the organization, not its name