Should the Edmonton Eskimos have to change their name?

Started by Barrister, December 01, 2015, 01:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 01, 2015, 02:23:51 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on December 01, 2015, 02:21:49 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 01, 2015, 02:21:03 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on December 01, 2015, 02:19:56 PM
Quote from: Malthus on December 01, 2015, 02:09:40 PM
I read all that commentary, and it doesn't exactly leap out at me what in means to a team name. Though I do think that if the Innuit are of the opinion it's a slur, then to err on the side of politeness and change the name is proper. Probably in the modern world any name using an ethnicity really ought to be avoided, even if it is traditional.

Which is essentially the point of Article 15 of the UN declaration  ;)

Added to the declaration about indigenous people's controlling their own IP - which includes their names...

But it's not "their name" - it's a name that others gave to them.

By that logic there is nothing wrong with the name Redskin. Are you really going to try to argue that point?

Ownership of the IP of the name is not the only criteria that we should examine this by.

I agree.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 01, 2015, 02:22:43 PM
I think that is what the Inuit will do next.  But for now they have made a request to the team to change the name.

Well, should they change it and should they have to change it are different questions.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 01, 2015, 02:28:29 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on December 01, 2015, 02:22:43 PM
I think that is what the Inuit will do next.  But for now they have made a request to the team to change the name.

Well, should they change it and should they have to change it are different questions.

I am not sure what point you are making.  If the name is offensive (and the Inuit say it is) they should change it.  I am not sure what you mean by " should they have to change it"

Malthus

I read all that commentary, and it doesn't exactly leap out at me what in means to a team name. Though I do think that if the Innuit are of the opinion it's a slur, then to err on the side of politeness and change the name is proper. Probably in the modern world any name using an ethnicity really ought to be avoided, even if it is traditional.

Added to the declaration about indigenous people's controlling their own IP - which includes their names...

The whole point of their complaint is that "Eskimo" isn't their name. It is hard to argue that they own the IP rights to it.

It is more in the nature of an inadvertent slur, and ought to be avoided for this reason.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 01, 2015, 02:30:59 PM
I am not sure what point you are making.  If the name is offensive (and the Inuit say it is) they should change it.  I am not sure what you mean by " should they have to change it"

I mean the government should not step in.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

"Eskimo" is the proper term used by the US Census Bureau, Inuit is not proper term since it does not describe the people's in Alaska.  It has nothing to to with idea of "eater's of raw meat".  It is simply an exonyme.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on December 01, 2015, 02:37:34 PM
"Eskimo" is the proper term used by the US Census Bureau, Inuit is not proper term since it does not describe the people's in Alaska.  It has nothing to to with idea of "eater's of raw meat".  It is simply an exonyme.

I think Alaskan Eskimos are not bothered by the name of a CFL team.

Canadian Inuit, on the other hand...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on December 01, 2015, 02:33:13 PM

The whole point of their complaint is that "Eskimo" isn't their name. It is hard to argue that they own the IP rights to it.

It is more in the nature of an inadvertent slur, and ought to be avoided for this reason.

Article 15 doesn't deal with IP  ;)

Razgovory

If the name describe a people they aren't, what grounds to they have to complain?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on December 01, 2015, 02:46:35 PM
If the name describe a people they aren't, what grounds to they have to complain?

:huh:

For the same reason indigenous people complain about the name Redskin. 

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 01, 2015, 02:36:56 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on December 01, 2015, 02:30:59 PM

I mean the government should not step in.

Its not  :huh:

Razgovory

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 01, 2015, 02:47:23 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 01, 2015, 02:46:35 PM

:huh:

For the same reason indigenous people complain about the name Redskin.

Not the same though.  This refers to one group of indigenous people.  A team took on the name "the Seminoles", would the Sioux have any grounds to complain? 

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 01, 2015, 02:46:03 PM
Quote from: Malthus on December 01, 2015, 02:33:13 PM

Article 15 doesn't deal with IP  ;)

Article 15 contains one right, and one state requirement.

Quote1. Indigenous peoples have the right to the dignity and diversity
of their cultures, traditions, histories and aspirations which shall be
appropriately reflected in education and public information.

2. States shall take effective measures, in consultation and cooperation
with the indigenous peoples concerned, to combat prejudice
and eliminate discrimination and to promote tolerance, understanding
and good relations among indigenous peoples and all other segments
of society.

Neither of these appear particularly applicable here.  :huh: The "right to the dignity and diversity of their cultures, histories and aspirations" is not impacted by the name chosen for a football team, and the second point is a state requirement. Or is the argument that the state should step in and ban the use of the name as an "effective measure"?

To my mind, this isn't a matter for such undertakings, but of politeness and managing of the team's own PR.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

PC gone mad. So I guess yeah they should change their name.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.