News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Has Ank gone off the deep end?

Started by Martinus, November 28, 2015, 01:44:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Jaron on November 29, 2015, 02:36:13 AM
The idea is that after death those who did not prepare their souls in life go to a spirit prison. Proxy baptism is a way to release loved ones from this spiritual prison and allow them to continue to their afterlife in heaven.

Frankly I fail to see why whether it is done by relatives or not should matter. Besides, I think it's rarely the case that all one's relatives follow the same religion - who should then have the decisive vote?

Jaron

Well, part of it is that the Mormon church didn't come into being until the 19th century, so proxy baptisms allow them to offer their plan of salvation to those who lived before that time.

The point I need to emphasize is the proxy baptism does not make the relatives Mormons. Its an extension of an opportunity to accept the baptism to the soul in the afterlife. It does not in any way change the religious affiliation of the person as it exists in this life.

In the end, the decisive vote is on the person.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Martinus

Quote from: Jaron on November 29, 2015, 02:50:18 AM
Well, part of it is that the Mormon church didn't come into being until the 19th century, so proxy baptisms allow them to offer their plan of salvation to those who lived before that time.

The point I need to emphasize is the proxy baptism does not make the relatives Mormons. Its an extension of an opportunity to accept the baptism to the soul in the afterlife. It does not in any way change the religious affiliation of the person as it exists in this life.

Is it only used for those who lived before 19th century or also recent deceased?

Jaron

Quote from: Martinus on November 29, 2015, 02:54:45 AM

Is it only used for those who lived before 19th century or also recent deceased?

I don't know the exact rules except I'm pretty sure they should be a direct relative. Mormons go crazy with genealogy so they have a lot of records to pull names from. I'm not sure though if someone who has just died can be baptized or if there is a waiting period.

Don't worry though - you're like a brother to me and you'll be baptized IMMEDIATELY after death.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on November 29, 2015, 02:25:26 AM
To me, of course, this seems indeed like nothing I could care about when I am dead so this should be treated the same way as other "crimes" against the deceased, such as necrophilia or desecration of corpses.

When you're alive, people aren't allowed to rape you or beat you, but they are allowed to talk about you.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on November 28, 2015, 11:17:39 PM

I was very careful to note that already.

Yes, there are certainly religions that do not have such a epistemology, but they don't seem to be very popular...

Hinduism isn't popular?  Who knew?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on November 29, 2015, 12:54:21 AM
Doesn't hit the nail on my head. But thanks for playing.

I never mentioned you, but thanks for playing.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on November 28, 2015, 08:58:51 PM
I'm praying for Berkut.
:( :yes: At least Raz realizes that he needs to start believing if his soul and happiness is to be salvaged.  Berkut hasn't even made the first step of realizing that he should be suicidal.

DGuller

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 28, 2015, 10:44:00 PM
The outrage is a little silly.  Why would an atheist care at all what someone tries to do to them after their death?
It's jut a mark of disrespect for the person's beliefs.  Dead people wouldn't care either if their corpses were militated and left outside to be snacked on by vultures, and yet we still consider it bad form.

DGuller

Quote from: Martinus on November 29, 2015, 02:44:27 AM
Quote from: Jaron on November 29, 2015, 02:36:13 AM
The idea is that after death those who did not prepare their souls in life go to a spirit prison. Proxy baptism is a way to release loved ones from this spiritual prison and allow them to continue to their afterlife in heaven.

Frankly I fail to see why whether it is done by relatives or not should matter. Besides, I think it's rarely the case that all one's relatives follow the same religion - who should then have the decisive vote?
Whoever's God made them live the longest.

dps

Quote from: Jaron on November 29, 2015, 03:14:43 AM
Quote from: Martinus on November 29, 2015, 02:54:45 AM

I don't know the exact rules except I'm pretty sure they should be a direct relative. Mormons go crazy with genealogy so they have a lot of records to pull names from. I'm not sure though if someone who has just died can be baptized or if there is a waiting period.

Don't worry though - you're like a brother to me and you'll be baptized IMMEDIATELY after death.

He was raised Catholic--I'm sure that he's already been baptized.

Grinning_Colossus

I'm making a Voodoo doll of you, Jaron.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Maximus

Quote from: Jaron on November 28, 2015, 10:03:56 PM
Mormons are allowed to baptize their relatives after death. The controversy comes from when they baptize someone completely unrelated to them.

It is a proxy baptism and the deceased has the choice to accept or reject it.
Allowed by whom?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Maximus on November 29, 2015, 12:39:49 PM
Allowed by whom?

The US Constitution would seem to allow them to baptize relatives and non-relatives alike, since this "baptism" is little different from a Christian church deciding to pray for somebody.

It would be different if they dug the corpse out and poured water on it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jaron

Quote from: Maximus on November 29, 2015, 12:39:49 PM
Quote from: Jaron on November 28, 2015, 10:03:56 PM
Mormons are allowed to baptize their relatives after death. The controversy comes from when they baptize someone completely unrelated to them.

It is a proxy baptism and the deceased has the choice to accept or reject it.
Allowed by whom?

The church high command