News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Rocky vs. Apollo Creed

Started by jimmy olsen, November 27, 2015, 11:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Rocky have been awarded the victory in the first fight?

Yes
2 (9.1%)
No
20 (90.9%)

Total Members Voted: 22

jimmy olsen

Just watched the first fight for the first time in years, and I gotta say, if I was one of the judges, I would have voted for Rocky. Apollo had broken ribs and was spitting up blood at the end of the fight. What say you?

The fight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_qhLRUh66k
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

celedhring

I see a knockdown each in the first round, and that Apollo lands many more blows, even if Rocky hits harder. Apollo then wins second comfortably, and the montage makes it look like he dominates the match with ease. Another knockdown for Apollo in the 14th, and then Rocky wins 15th.

So yeah, Apollo wins comfortably. How is that even disputed?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: celedhring on November 27, 2015, 11:59:26 AM
I see a knockdown each in the first round, and that Apollo lands many more blows, even if Rocky hits harder. Apollo then wins second comfortably, and the montage makes it look like he dominates the match with ease. Another knockdown for Apollo in the 14th, and then Rocky wins 15th.

So yeah, Apollo wins comfortably. How is that even disputed?

Rocky breaks Apollo's ribs in the 14th round. He's bleeding internally from that point on.

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

celedhring

So what? They don't call TKO, and it looks like Apollo has dominated the match up to that point, so he'll have won most of the rounds. Honestly, in the film it's a split decision and from the footage shown, I can't see how it isn't unanimous.

The only thing you can argue is whether the judges should have called TKO after that blow.

Tamas

The whole point of that movie is having no chance at all to win but still doing your damn best.

It would not have made sense if Rocky won and that's why every episode between the first and the last one suck.

PRC

jimmy olsen

Bah, you guys are slaves to the script.

Logically, they should have called the fight in Rocky's favor after Apollo started spitting up blood.

1 Karma Chameleon point

celedhring

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 27, 2015, 12:29:29 PM
Bah, you guys are slaves to the script.

Logically, they should have called the fight in Rocky's favor after Apollo started spitting up blood.

Rocky's swollen eyelids would have got the fight called off before that. But it's a movie fight so boxers fight with injuries that wouldn't have been allowed in a real bout, because they add drama.

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Unless one of the fighters gets knocked out or otherwise disqualified, it's based on the number of punches landed, not the damage done.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Eddie Teach

Also, keep in mind that you don't see a full 15 round fight, but merely the highlights. Otherwise it would last like an hour.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 27, 2015, 12:52:55 PM
Lungs > Eyes

Absolutely, but Rocky has already asked his manager to cut his lid (!!!) before he lands that punch. In a real match he would've been TKOed with eyes like that. He also gets his nose broken, which is grounds for TKO too.

Real boxing is pretty conservative regarding injuries. Again, here they play it loose for drama and epicness, so both boxers can bleed themselves to quasi-death as they go the distance.

sbr

Judges don't care about broken ribs or spitting up blood, they score the fight based on how the fighters are fighting.  That fight would have been an easy win for Creed; Rocky went down what 4 times and Apollo controlled the action until the end of the 15th.

And if they stopped the fight for anything it would have been stopped and Creed gotten the win way before Rocky could break his ribs.