Happy All Soul's Day! / ¡Feliz Día de los Muertos!

Started by Savonarola, November 02, 2015, 11:03:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Does anyone do anything special for today, or live in an region where today is celebrated?

Being the culturally sensitive person that I am, I plan to watch Blue Demon Movies tonight.   :ph34r:

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Duque de Bragança

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Archy

We came together with the family. To remember my late grandfather with pie and coffee or sodas. Still need to go to the graveyards though.

Martinus

In Poland, people visit graves of relatives on All Saints Holiday (1 November) and All Soul's Day (2 November), but only 1 November is a national holiday.

Cemeteries can look quite stunning on a misty All Saints' Eve:

While the Catholic church has of course appropriated the holiday, it has an older, pre-Christian origins - if you played Witcher 3, the "ghost summoning" ritual there is directly inspired by the pagan tradition.

Admiral Yi

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on November 02, 2015, 03:36:56 PM
While the Catholic church has of course appropriated the holiday, it has an older, pre-Christian origins - if you played Witcher 3, the "ghost summoning" ritual there is directly inspired by the pagan tradition.

That a fact? Color me skeptical. I mean in Mexico they took similar rituals and applied them to this day but it was not a previously existing holiday. Or if it was it was one hell of a coincidence.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on November 02, 2015, 03:53:27 PM
Quote from: Martinus on November 02, 2015, 03:36:56 PM

That a fact? Color me skeptical. I mean in Mexico they took similar rituals and applied them to this day but it was not a previously existing holiday. Or if it was it was one hell of a coincidence.

About the Witcher?  I have no idea.  About the pagan stuff, no.  See, this is what happens when you start reading books on anthropology from a hundred years ago.  You are likely to have death related holidays across cultures because death is part of the human condition.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017