Texas Orders Health Clinics to Turn Over Patient Data

Started by jimmy olsen, October 26, 2015, 06:52:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on October 27, 2015, 03:22:48 PM
Where have you been looking that you saw no such effort?

Here.  The NYT.  CNN.  The Atlantic.  The Economist.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 27, 2015, 03:32:45 PM
Quote from: Jacob on October 27, 2015, 03:22:48 PM
Where have you been looking that you saw no such effort?

Here.  The NYT.  CNN.  The Atlantic.  The Economist.

Interesting. I did a quick search on CNN and the Economist and they did usually say - as you said - that Planned Parenthood claimed that the edited videos lacked important context, but did not - in what I found - supply the missing context.

So yeah, it makes sense you did not see efforts to supply the missing context as your sources did not supply it, in spite of it being out there and made available by Planned Parenthood and other parties.

To me that suggests that you should consider broadening your source of information, at least on women's health issues in the US as it seems your usual sources leave out information you're looking for.

Admiral Yi

Berkut

Quote from: KRonn on October 27, 2015, 01:31:22 PM
Those videos were inspected by a firm that does forensics on videos and found to have been valid and not tampered. Only things left out were bathroom breaks, nothing meaningful was left out.

Well, I guess you can believe the people who likely edited the videos with an obvious agenda, or PP, who states unequivocally that the videos were in fact edited and provides multiple examples.

https://istandwithpp.org/files/3314/4068/3056/8-27-15-Deceptive-Edits-on-Anti-Abortion-Planned-Parenthood-Videos.pdf
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 27, 2015, 04:26:14 PM
Thanks for vouching that I'm not a liar Jacob. :cheers:

I assumed you weren't, but you might have missed something.

To be honest, I was surprised that they did not cover the substance of the misrepresentation. Pretty disappointing, to be honest - but I suppose that is part of the reason the story has the legs it has.

dps

Quote from: Martinus on October 27, 2015, 03:27:27 PM
The data they are requesting is anonymised, I hope?

That would disappoint Ide.

On a serious note, they're asking for appointment books, sign-in sheets, and contracts.  That would suggest that the answer is no, it's not.  If that's the case, I'd say this clearly violates HIPAA.

grumbler

Quote from: dps on October 27, 2015, 05:37:06 PM
Quote from: Martinus on October 27, 2015, 03:27:27 PM
The data they are requesting is anonymised, I hope?

That would disappoint Ide.

On a serious note, they're asking for appointment books, sign-in sheets, and contracts.  That would suggest that the answer is no, it's not.  If that's the case, I'd say this clearly violates HIPAA.

Not if the government claims it is investigating possible fraud.  HIPAA allows access to personal records for that.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on October 27, 2015, 04:35:06 PM
To be honest, I was surprised that they did not cover the substance of the misrepresentation. Pretty disappointing, to be honest - but I suppose that is part of the reason the story has the legs it has.

These conversations took place long ago.  What could PP accurately say about what was said in the deleted (even from the "complete tapes") portions of the tape, other than what they have?

The reason the story has the legs it has is because politicians are using this for blatant political purposes, even going so far as to knowingly misrepresent PP as a for-profit organization.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!