News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Long commute - car or train?

Started by Tamas, October 16, 2015, 08:58:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

I'll soon be facing a rather long commute, at least significantly longer than I have ever had to do before.

It's about 1 hour 10 minutes on train, and around 40 minute-ish by car on average.

I don't yet have a car, but I could affor getting a decent used one.

My main pro train thought is that I'd be just sitting (if lucky!) and could read and such, while in the car I would have to actually drive.

Pro-car arguments are that I would be driving a car, I would NOT be on a train cramped with other people, and it would be cheaper as far as monthly costs go, but that does not account for purchase price (which may be on loan) and any repairs.

Present plan is to do the train for the first month to asses general financial situation after the move anyways, then probably switch to a car, but I would like to hear the opinions of those who have tried both for longer time periods.

mongers

If this is in and out of London at the usual work times, then that will significantly tilt you decision, as compared to commuting in and out of other cities like Bristol, Manchester or Edinburgh, which I think is easier by train than car.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

I take it finding a place close to work is out of the question?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 16, 2015, 09:02:21 AM

It's SE England, transport network focused on a single point and routinely at capacity, in an area with population densities above 2,000 p.sq.mile and so, little room for new added capacity.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

Its complicated, suffice to say the home and the job are where they are.

Tamas

Quote from: mongers on October 16, 2015, 09:01:34 AM
If this is in and out of London at the usual work times, then that will significantly tilt you decision, as compared to commuting in and out of other cities like Bristol, Manchester or Edinburgh, which I think is easier by train than car.

By train I'd be changing at Clapham Junction.

Tamas

Quote from: mongers on October 16, 2015, 09:05:33 AM

It's SE England, transport network focused on a single point and routinely at it's capacity, in an area with population densities above 2,000 p.sq.mile and so little room new added capacity.

Yeah if there was a direct railroad connection this would be 30 minutes on train tops. As it stands, I must crawl into London and then crawl out. With car I'd be using the motorway going around London.

DGuller

It also depends on the parking situation.  If you can easily park both at home and at work, with the times listed, I would opt for a car.  Then you're not tied to train schedule or the route, and you can drive somewhere else after work before coming home.  Of course, this is assuming that your times are accurate, and that you've taken traffic into account.

Monoriu

I think the best way is to test out each option.  Can you rent a car for a few days?  If so you can try each option to see which one suits you best in practice.

Brazen

My commute's about that long of which 40 mins is on the train. I would say train as I can read, check work emails, do my make-up and watch videos. And come home pissed on occasion.

But both ends of my commute are the end of the line so I'm guaranteed a seat. My opinion would swing entirely the other way if I had to stand.

I had one London car commute that took me an hour and a half to drive 16 miles. Never again.

I'd take a couple of days off to trial the journey in rush hour and find something touristy to do while you're there.

HisMajestyBOB

I always take the Metro in DC when I can. I can sit and read, listen to podcasts, or whatever.
Driving sucks much more, even in the rare occasions when it's faster. Traffic is bad and unpredictable enough that I can't concentrate on podcasts, and reading is right-out.

Sometimes the Metro is crowded, sure. But I can still read and ignore everyone else.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

crazy canuck

Train.  Definitely the train.  You can get a lot done on that commute and it would be a whole lot more relaxing. 

Syt

Agreed on train - it's extra time you can use productively.

That is unless the train only runs every two hours, or is regularly so crowded that it's standing room only.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Train but you will probably still need a car on the weekends.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on October 16, 2015, 09:37:35 AM
Agreed on train - it's extra time you can use productively.

That is unless the train only runs every two hours, or is regularly so crowded that it's standing room only.

I think I would have a decent chance of grabbing a seat for at least half the journey all days.

Trains are quite regular, especially if I am willing to tolerate +15 minutes to my ride.