Is any of your relatives a famous/known/notorious person?

Started by Pedrito, October 13, 2015, 02:03:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

MadImmortalMan

I really wish I knew.

I'm sure it's rust or bolts now.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

lustindarkness

How awesome would it be to have the car with that original tag, and show it with the picture in the history textbook.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Malthus

Quote from: lustindarkness on October 20, 2015, 04:18:28 PM
How awesome would it be to have the car with that original tag, and show it with the picture in the history textbook.

Comming to you on the next edition of "Antiques Roadshow".  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

MadImmortalMan

Oh my god, my grandma would have had a stroke or something. It's probably buried very deep in some coal mine, waiting for the sun to expand.

MadImmortalMan

My grandpa took me to Devil Anse Hatfield's grave. Not as a tourist thing. As a honoring our ancestors thing.

lustindarkness

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 20, 2015, 04:22:26 PM

Oh my god, my grandma would have had a stroke or something. It's probably buried very deep in some coal mine, waiting for the sun to expand.

:(

I understand your grandma been ashamed, but history is cool, simple as that. And any physical connection to history would be awesome to have.

BTW, you did not give us much about the other well notorious family member. I hope we mean the one that rode horses and not the one that rides motorcycles?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Eddie Teach

Quote from: lustindarkness on October 20, 2015, 04:29:38 PM
BTW, you did not give us much about the other well notorious family member. I hope we mean the one that rode horses and not the one that rode Sandra Bullock.

:sleep:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Hansmeister

Well, my grandmother spied for the Nazis in Tschechoslovakia.  She would bring reports of Czech troop positions over the border to the Wehrmacht.  The border police didn't suspect a 20-year-old girl of being a spy. After the annexation she was invited to Berlin to meet the Führer and promptly fainted in his arms.

Her brother in law, my great uncle, ended the war a Colonel in the Waffen-SS, captured in Budapest in 1945 and spent 10 years in Siberia.

Razgovory

Goddamn it I knew it!  I thought your accent was Sudentan German.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Hansmeister on October 20, 2015, 06:41:06 PM
Well, my grandmother spied for the Nazis in Tschechoslovakia.  She would bring reports of Czech troop positions over the border to the Wehrmacht.  The border police didn't suspect a 20-year-old girl of being a spy. After the annexation she was invited to Berlin to meet the Führer and promptly fainted in his arms.

Her brother in law, my great uncle, ended the war a Colonel in the Waffen-SS, captured in Budapest in 1945 and spent 10 years in Siberia.

I am reminded of a moment in Middle School where we reached the Normandy invasion and the teacher asked if any of us had grandparents who participated in the battle. Two kids raised their hands and she asked one of them what unit his grandfather was in. The kid answered 'the 21st Panzer Division'

That was awkward :lol:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on October 20, 2015, 08:54:56 PM

I am reminded of a moment in Middle School where we reached the Normandy invasion and the teacher asked if any of us had grandparents who participated in the battle. Two kids raised their hands and she asked one of them what unit his grandfather was in. The kid answered 'the 21st Panzer Division'

That was awkward :lol:
:lol:

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 20, 2015, 04:34:49 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on October 20, 2015, 04:29:38 PM
BTW, you did not give us much about the other well notorious family member. I hope we mean the one that rode horses and not the one that rode Sandra Bullock.

:sleep:

Yeah. Frank James is my 3xgreat grandpa. Grandma's dad was the highest-ranking klansman in WV, and her great grandfather was part of the James gang. Wonderful people my gramps married into.

The Brain

Who wouldn't? :wub:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Scipio

I am thankfully not related to the Canadian douchecanoe Michael Ignatieff or his family. I am also not related to famed Australian painter Alexander Ignatiev. My ex-wife is Conway Twitty's sixth cousin.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt