Due to low birth rate, Japan abolishes social sciences, STEM for all.

Started by jimmy olsen, September 16, 2015, 08:55:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hamilcar

Quote from: Martinus on September 16, 2015, 10:12:35 AM
Someone needs to give Hami a refresher course on Languish memes. :P

Is it still cool to make fun of Jaron?

mongers

Quote from: Hamilcar on September 16, 2015, 10:10:30 AM
Quote from: The Brain on September 16, 2015, 10:09:48 AM
OK Martim.

Eh?  :huh:

It's a meme there you missed out on, our Martin Silva mentions attending diplomatic functions and 'we' mock him for name dropping and quoting titbits of the conversations.    :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

Monoriu

Quote from: Martinus on September 16, 2015, 10:06:49 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on September 16, 2015, 10:05:24 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 16, 2015, 10:03:04 AM
Social sciences give us the capacity for self-reflection, so it's hardly a surprise that any government with authoritarian tendencies would want to abolish those - it is much easier to rule cattle, even if that cattle can do math.

Somehow I think people are capable of self-reflection even if they didn't major in the social sciences.

Journalists, sociologists, philosophers etc. provide us with data for that. Without knowing ourselves - as a society, as a nation, as a group etc. - we are not capable of self reflection because we are in the dark. All that is left then is the cacophony of social media and infotainment - that can be chaotic at best and completely manipulated by those in power at worst.

I don't think anybody is saying let's abolish all social sciences.  But the point is, we don't have infinite resources and more social sciences may not be an optimal allocation of resources.  Why do you think you know more about the Japanese if they have the right amount of social science courses?

The Brain

Monoriu

Quote from: Hamilcar on September 16, 2015, 10:13:08 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 16, 2015, 10:12:35 AM
Someone needs to give Hami a refresher course on Languish memes. :P

Is it still cool to make fun of Jaron?

Serious answer: not really.  He isn't around much anymore.  He is around in recent weeks though.  Polls still have Jaron options though.

Hamilcar

Quote from: Monoriu on September 16, 2015, 10:16:31 AM
I don't think anybody is saying let's abolish all social sciences.  But the point is, we don't have infinite resources and more social sciences may not be an optimal allocation of resources.  Why do you think you know more about the Japanese if they have the right amount of social science courses?

I doubt any nation's budget is significantly impacted by the salary of its sociology professors.

Monoriu

Quote from: Hamilcar on September 16, 2015, 10:18:07 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on September 16, 2015, 10:16:31 AM

I doubt any nation's budget is significantly impacted by the salary of its sociology professors.

Budget is one factor.  The market may really demand more STEM graduates than social science graduates. 

celedhring

When I was at Columbia there was a quite sizable contingent of Japanese students at my faculty, the School of the Arts. They talked terribly of Japanese art schools. I guess most Japanese non-STEM schools just aren't very good and a lot of students just try to go abroad.

Hamilcar

Quote from: Monoriu on September 16, 2015, 10:20:13 AM
Budget is one factor.  The market may really demand more STEM graduates than social science graduates.

Really? Are salaries for STEM graduates rising rapidly due to shortages and fights over talent?

The Brain

Quote from: celedhring on September 16, 2015, 10:20:55 AM
When I was at Columbia there was a quite sizable contingent of Japanese students at my faculty, the School of the Arts. They talked terribly of Japanese art schools. I guess most Japanese non-STEM schools just aren't very good and a lot of students just try to go abroad.

My impression is that the Japanese are very weak in history.

Hamilcar

Quote from: The Brain on September 16, 2015, 10:22:19 AM
Quote from: celedhring on September 16, 2015, 10:20:55 AM

My impression is that the Japanese are very weak in history.

Just selective.

Monoriu

Quote from: Hamilcar on September 16, 2015, 10:21:22 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on September 16, 2015, 10:20:13 AM

Really? Are salaries for STEM graduates rising rapidly due to shortages and fights over talent?

Certainly in HK the employers keep saying they don't find enough IT people.  I have personally seen a major government IT project fail because the contractor can't hire enough IT people with salaries that can keep the project within budget.  We had to kill the project and start over.  I seldom, if ever, hear any employer complaining about the lack of social science majors.  Not sure about Japan, of course, but my guess is they are in the same boat.