On His Majesty’s Naval Service – A Rule the Waves AAR

Started by grumbler, August 11, 2015, 12:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warspite

This does look like a lot of fun, thanks for the AAR grumbler.

It seems like a game that could really use with a dedicated graphics designer, however - even a period spreadsheet and blueprint feel would do the trick.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

The Brain

Quote from: PDH on August 15, 2015, 09:11:41 PM
I am quite enjoying this.  Whilst I might not buy such, it is interesting - is it actually possible to research to get a "Dreadnought" by 1806?

Reminds me of EU discussions.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Agelastus

I am quite enjoying this.  Whilst I might not buy such, it is interesting - is it actually possible to research to get a "Dreadnought" by 1806?

Japan appears to be building one in the final screenshot.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

grumbler

Quote from: Agelastus on August 16, 2015, 09:09:01 AM

Japan appears to be building one in the final screenshot.

Good catch!  It is an interesting development:  the design is dated 1908!  Some glitch in the program, I think.

Unfortunately, the player cannot see foreign designs until the first one completes.  it will be interesting to see when this ship completes.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

celedhring

All ships labelled "building" have dates in the future. I guess it's the estimated time of completion.

grumbler

Quote from: celedhring on August 16, 2015, 10:36:47 AM
All ships labelled "building" have dates in the future. I guess it's the estimated time of completion.

I think that you are right.  I thought it was the date of the design because that's what's in that column on the ship build selection screen, but that's not what it is in the ships building screen (because for own ships, it says n/a).  Three years to build would be about right, since Japan has an "inefficient shipbuilding industry" meaning it takes 33 months to complete a battleship (Britain can build one in 27 months).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Grumbler, you are no doubt involved with more important things at the moment with school starting shortly.  But when you get a chance I think we would all enjoy you completing this AAR or starting a new one.  It was a very good read.

celedhring

Jaron

21,000 tons and what do you get
another day older and deeper in debt
Winner of THE grumbler point.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Okay, I've still been messing with this game on the back burner a bit, but have enough for an update.  Let's see if I can remember how I did this:

1906 – The Libya Crisis

As the year starts, the situation with regards to the US battleships is the only cloud on the RN's horizon. 
The US still has more battleships active than Britain, though that situation will reverse itself as the 5 Royal Sovereigns in the yards to get FC installed finish their refits in the first quarter.  Finances are sound, with $35 million pounds banked against the chance of war.

In January, the Russians offer technology to improve our shells.  I accept.

The Admiralty raises the question of the effectiveness of the current crop of cruisers in screening the future battle fleet; scout cruiser speeds are only 22 knots, and the latest battleships under construction are 20 knots.  The Admiralty feels that the scout fleet speed should be at least 5 knots faster than the battle line.  New battleships won't increase battle line speed immediately, but the decision is made to produce no more CLs until a design with 25 knot speed can be built.

The year progressed quietly, and by June the fleet was once again unquestionably the world's most powerful, with 15 battleships to the USA's 12, and with a 50% advantage in tonnage.  However, the Japanese, Germans, and Italians had all laid down 21,000 ton battleships by now, and the Germans, Americans, and French have expanded their building slips to handle ships up to 25,000 tons.  The two-power standard, not quite met at present in battleships, would be even more difficult to maintain if everyone were building 21 to 25kton battleships.

Britain laid down her second 21,000 ton battleship.

Tensions with Italy continue to rise as one of their ships collides with one of ours (image not captured).  Tensions with Italy now 8, two short of war.  But, really?  Italy would go to war with 5 battleships and 2 cruisers against 15 battleships and 41 cruisers?

In October, an uprising in Libya topples the government, and anarchy reigns.  The Foreign Office seeks the Admiralty's advice, and I recommend an expedition to restore order.  The expedition succeeds, and Libya becomes a British base.  Italy is displeased, and tensions go to 11, though Italy doesn't declare war.  Pity.

I decide that it would be prudent to reinforce the Mediterranean fleet now, rather than after a war breaks out, so I move a squadron of 4 BB, a CA, and 8 destroyers to Malta.

And thus the year 1906 ends.  Tensions with Italy are high, but otherwise the situation is quite satisfactory.  Some cruiser designs have proven less than completely satisfactory, but a decision on how to deal with that need not be made now.  Better technology may make a solution clear in the next year or so.

Bayraktar!

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

celedhring

Norgy

I never thought I'd appreciate spreadsheets as much as this.  :cool:

Berkut

I want to take this game engine, and re-write it in a sci-fi setting. That would be so much fun...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned