News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

OAS & Franco-Algeria

Started by Lettow77, June 23, 2009, 07:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lettow77

How do y'all french languish folk, and languish folk in general, feel regarding the Algerian conflict, and the actions of the OAS?

Just wanted to see the pulse of the french on the matter today, and the prevailing opinions on the parties involved. 
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

CountDeMoney

Sherman was right to burn Atlanta, and Strom Thurmond had nigger babies.

Admiral Yi

We have no Frenchicans left here.

garbon

I'll have french toast on rye
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Weatherman

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

dps

What exactly were the actions of the Organization of American States in Algeria?

;)

Habbaku

Quote from: dps on June 23, 2009, 09:18:36 PM
What exactly were the actions of the Organization of American States in Algeria?

Trying to establish Francisco Franco's rule, duh.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Lettow77

ah, languish! Awesome show; great job.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Razgovory

Actually there are quite a few Franophiles still left.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tonitrus

Alatriste

Quote from: Razgovory on June 24, 2009, 01:30:09 AM
Actually there are quite a few Franophiles still left.

In spite of the best efforts of many, I would say...

OK, I'll bite. Not French, but you could say I'm a Francophile.

Algeria's was a dirty, incredibly dirty war. Torture, killing, rape, extorsion, murder... you name it, both French army, colonists and FLN did it. It was dirty enough, in Algeria and France itself, to bring democracy terribly close to death

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_massacre_of_1961

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_1958_crisis

OAS was, quite simply, a terrorist group, but in addition an unusually stupid terrorist group. Can you get more stupid than launching a killing spree against cleaning ladies (May 5th 1962), for example? How was that supposed to turn Frenchmen against Algerian independence? One wonders if OAS gunmen were nihilists, madmen or fools.

Regarding independence in itself when the FLN started the war in 1954 most Algerians probably didn't give a fig, and the number of Algerian volunteers fighting for France suggest the same, that initially many supported the system (Algeria was supposed to be part of France, not a colony, even if Algeria only elected two MPs to the French parliament, one by the Muslims, the other by the settlers); it was the clumsy reprisals and the collective punishments what made them anti-French.

But anyway the 1962 plebiscite left few doubts: 6,000,000 for independence, 16,000 against it... the settlers decided to boicott the plebiscite, but they could have added just 500,000-600,000 votes at the most.

Valmy

I think one of the De Gaulle's greatest achievements was ending the war and dismantling the French Empire in general all while somehow not being assassinated or overthrown.  Good show. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Drakken

Quote from: Lettow77 on June 23, 2009, 07:26:14 PM
How do y'all french languish folk, and languish folk in general, feel regarding the Algerian conflict, and the actions of the OAS?

Just wanted to see the pulse of the french on the matter today, and the prevailing opinions on the parties involved.

Thank God for you Dixielanders that Sherman didn't use the same tactics in his March to the Sea and his parade in Atlanta that the French Legionnaires did in Algeria. Sherman burning farms and twisting railroads was a paramount of mansuetude and clemency in comparison with the French counter-terrorism tactics there.