Giant robots from US and Japan to meet in battle

Started by Syt, July 06, 2015, 11:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Tim, I'm disappointed in you for not posting this yet.

http://www.geek.com/news/giant-robots-from-us-and-japan-will-have-a-real-fight-next-year-1627146/

QuoteGiant robots from US and Japan will have a real fight next year

Movies, comics, and anime are full of giant fighting robots, but real life has thus far been depressingly bereft of giant mechanized fighting machines. That's about to change now that there are two fighting robots in the world. The American creators of MegaBot have challenged Japan's Suidobashi Heavy Industry to bring its Kuratas robot to the battlefield. The challenge is accepted, so get ready for real-life giant robot fighting.

In the American corner is the MegaBot, which was originally the subject of a failed Kickstarter campaign a few years ago. It was eventually brought to life with the help of Autodesk, though. This piloted robot has room for two occupants (one driver and one gunner) and is 15 feet tall. It tips the scales at 12,000 pounds. For armaments, this mech has a paintball cannon that fires giant three-pound projectiles at more than 100 miles per hour.

Fighting for Japan is the more mature Kuratas mech, which has actually been sold as a product for the super-rich in Japan in recent years. It's a little smaller at 12 feet and only 9,000 pounds. It also has a single driver and no paintball gun. Neither robot will get to use any kind of projectile weapon, though. One of the stipulations of the now-accepted duel is that it's melee only.

Suidobashi CEO Kogoro Kurata dropped some smack talk in his video response to the challenge saying he couldn't let another country win because "Giant robots are Japanese culture." The fight will take place in about a year after both robots have been modified for combat, and since they're technically piloted robots (or mechs if you prefer), there will probably need to be some stringent safety protocols.

Challenge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVJTGLL2SnI

Acceptance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u8mheM2Hrg
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Tim is too busy posting weeks old Supreme Court cases to stay on top of the giant robot news.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

No projectiles = lame
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

lustindarkness

Those are not robots, should be called a Mech Fight/Battle.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Syt

Quote from: lustindarkness on July 07, 2015, 09:03:16 AM
Those are not robots, should be called a Mech Fight/Battle.

That was my take, but since the duellists called their mechs robots, I stuck with it.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tonitrus

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

lustindarkness

Quote from: Tyr on July 08, 2015, 03:25:55 AM
Someone gonna die

We can be optimistic.

BTW, when and where will this take place?
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 08, 2015, 01:53:50 AM
House Kurita will win.  :)

The Kungsarmé will wipe all from the field of battle.

KRonn

I think this is practice for a real Pacific Rim event....