Main Menu

Gov. Mark Sanford goes crazy, disappears

Started by Caliga, June 23, 2009, 07:52:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Our own governor weighs in:

QuoteGranholm says S.C. governor's actions concern her
ASSOCIATED PRESS • June 25, 2009

LANSING — Michigan's governor says she's concerned about South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford's decision to take a trip abroad without alerting those responsible in his absence.

She told MSNBC on Wednesday that it's a given a governor must "make sure that the line of authority is established when you leave the state."

Sanford, a Republican, returned Wednesday to South Carolina and told a newspaper he'd been in Argentina. His staff had said he was hiking the Appalachian Trail. Sanford said he had considered hiking the trail but changed his mind.

At a tearful news conference Wednesday, Sanford admitted to an affair with a woman from Argentina.

Granholm, a Democrat, says she likes Sanford but was concerned he was out of touch for days without letting most officials, including the lieutenant governor, know his whereabouts.

Granholm made the comments before Sanford revealed the affair.

I don't see why she is concerned by this.  No one would be worried if Jenny disappeared for good.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ed Anger

Quote from: Savonarola on June 25, 2009, 08:46:46 AM

I don't see why she is concerned by this.  No one would be worried if Jenny disappeared for good.

The taxpayers up there would appreciate it.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Phillip V

Half of South Carolina says that Sanford should resign.

QuoteHalf of South Carolina residents say GOP Gov. Mark Sanford, who admitted to an extramarital affair on Wednesday, should resign from office, according to a new InsiderAdvantage poll.

The survey, conducted just hours after the governor's emotional press conference at the statehouse, found 50 percent of South Carolina voters want him to resign while 42 percent said he should remain in office. Another 8 percent had no opinion.

Voters were nearly evenly split on the question of whether Sanford, who left the state for five days to visit his mistress in Argentina but deceived his staff and the public about his whereabouts, should face impeachment by the state legislature. Although 45 percent supported impeachment, another 46 percent were opposed. Nine percent had no opinion.

But even after acknowledging the year-long affair, Sanford, who until recently had been widely seen as a potential GOP presidential contender in 2012, still enjoyed a relatively high job approval rating. The automated poll found that 47 percent of South Carolina voters approved of his job performance while 45 percent disapproved.

That's slightly lower than his ratings from one day ago – before his tearful confession – when a separate InsiderAdvantage poll showed the two-term governor holding onto a 53 percent job performance approval rating compared with 44 percent who disapproved.

The poll, conducted Wednesday evening, surveyed 926 registered voters and has a 3.2 percent margin of error.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0609/24202.html

Caliga

The other half is waiting for pics of this lady.  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

MadImmortalMan

Apparently, she's pretty.

ASSOCIATED PRESS

Last updated: 2:59 pm

South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford's mistress is a 43-year-old employee of an international agriculture company who speaks several languages and lives in an upscale apartment building in Buenos Aires, Argentina, local media there are reporting.

Though details are sparse, Terra Noticias reported Thursday that the woman's name is Maria Belen Shapur and she works for the international agribusiness firm Bunge y Born.

The newspaper, along with Buenos Aires Continental Radio, reported that she lives next to the Buenos Aires Zoo in a 14-story building. A witness who works in the building described her as a beautiful brunette with big eyes who plays tennis on a nearby lawn and runs every morning in her neighborhood.

The witness told the radio station that Sanford arrived at the complex, alone, with a small sports bag last week and asked to go inside the building.

Sanford admitted Wednesday to having an affair over the last year and covering up a secret trip to visit his mistress last week. The admission rocked the South Carolina political scene and has also captured the attention of the Buenos Aires media, as the governor provided few details about his lover.

Terra Noticias reported that Belen speaks English, Portuguese and Chinese, and that the company she supposedly works for is massive, with 25,000 employees in more than 30 countries, including 1,000 in Argentina, according to a profile on the Bunge Limited Web site.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Phillip V

Nice catch. I would fall for such a woman, too... if I was single.

saskganesh

Quote from: Caliga on June 25, 2009, 02:06:54 PM

get to work, paparazzi!

QuoteOne of the biggest search phrases on the internet Thursday is "Maria Belen Shapur Photo"
humans were created in their own image

saskganesh

humans were created in their own image

alfred russel

Quote from: saskganesh on June 25, 2009, 02:43:07 PM

get to work, paparazzi!

QuoteOne of the biggest search phrases on the internet Thursday is "Maria Belen Shapur Photo"

Wouldn't it be awesome if they just let her be and a picture of her never came out? (yeah, I know that will never happen)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: saskganesh on June 25, 2009, 02:44:02 PM
... hmm. is she part persian? rwwl.

What if, against all odds, she was black? That would throw everyone in South Carolina for a curve.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Malthus

Quote from: alfred russel on June 25, 2009, 02:45:01 PM
Quote from: saskganesh on June 25, 2009, 02:43:07 PM

get to work, paparazzi!

Wouldn't it be awesome if they just let her be and a picture of her never came out? (yeah, I know that will never happen)

How would respecting her privacy be anywhere near as awesome as offering the lazy masses a momentary titilation?  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

KRonn

Obviously this was a Democratic party plot to foist this woman on the popular Republican Governor, and ruin him politically. Why, I bet that Howie Dean even provided the plane ticket to Argentina through an un-named accomplice!

Don't cry for me Argentina......

Phillip V

Quote from: alfred russel on June 25, 2009, 02:45:01 PM
It would have been awesome if she let a U.S. State Governor be. The public deserves to see her.

As an aspiring writer, I need to see what inspired Sanford's heartfelt erotic letters.

Caliga

Given the nature of the emails he wrote to her, he's either a) an incredibly manipulative person, or b) truly in love with her (hell, he could well be both a) and b)).

If the answer is b), the only proper thing for him to do is formally leave his wife, stop pretending to want to reconcile with her, and get with the hot Latina who he is deeply in love with.  I would actually deeply respect him for doing that, though he's still a douche who should resign immediately.

I think we all know he is NOT going to do this, though.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DisturbedPervert

Terra Noticias reported that Belen speaks English, Portuguese and Chinese

No Spanish eh?