News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Also like everyone else online been watching Big Jet TV (YouTube channel of a guy in a field next to Heathrow filing planes landing) and it is stressful.
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sheilbh

Oh it's also kind of amazing watching them land - it's so impressive. You feel a little stressed and nauseous just watching them come in and then it lands and the guy cheers :)

Edit: And everyone on the YouTube channel is cheering on the planes - it's weirdly sweet. Like the plane version of train watchers?
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 18, 2022, 07:03:50 AM
Why?

I guess that the strong winds are making the planes shake like crazy and veer off their landing routes.

Sheilbh

Yeah around 150k viewers - and they've been on the BBC and Sky I think. There's still a plane landing every couple of minutes barely any diversions from what I can see (though a few go-arounds). It's incredible. A sample from earlier today:
https://twitter.com/TomHourigan/status/1494638164115443712?s=20&t=hQ3FNVNXJ9lyxLTr_O8www
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

The commentary really does it. This is highly compelling.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

It got pretty scary-sounding here for a while about an hour ago, now it is still very strong but not earth-shatteringly so.

I guess I did not lock our garage door properly though earlier because just now I spotted it having been opened by the wind. Went down and locked it properly this time around. :P

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 18, 2022, 07:02:24 AM
Also like everyone else online been watching Big Jet TV (YouTube channel of a guy in a field next to Heathrow filing planes landing) and it is stressful.

This is awesome.

garbon

I don't understand the appeal.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on February 18, 2022, 07:40:50 AM

Man & Massive Roaring Machine vs. Raging Nature

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on February 18, 2022, 07:43:21 AMMan & Massive Roaring Machine vs. Raging Nature
Yeah. And the skill of the pilots is absolutely incredible. I've never had opinions on planes before but now I'm thinking "good wing-flex on that" :blush:

Although as everyone is pointing it we are probably just minutes from finding out the guy doing commentary is a neo-Nazi or has a series of really problematic tweets :lol: :weep:
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on February 18, 2022, 07:43:21 AM

Okay, I'll take at face value as that really means nothing to me.

I see that as incredibly tense with hope plane lands okay (and I guess a little positive relief) alongside chance of spectacle that landing doesn't go okay
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on February 18, 2022, 08:04:18 AM
Quote from: Tamas on February 18, 2022, 07:43:21 AM

Okay, I'll take at face value as that really means nothing to me.

I see that as incredibly tense with hope plane lands okay (and I guess a little positive relief) alongside chance of spectacle that landing doesn't go okay

I don't really expect any of these to go wrong (when was the last time that happened anywhere?) but as Sheilbh wrote its an amazing display of skill.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on February 18, 2022, 08:06:14 AM
I don't really expect any of these to go wrong (when was the last time that happened anywhere?) but as Sheilbh wrote its an amazing display of skill.
Yeah - and I just never thought I'd get invested in whether a Qatar plane would land or divert (because it did three go-arounds): "Qatar, let's see what you're made of, son....beers are on me if you bring her in......Bosh!"

And based on the guy's merch (I imagine he doesn't normally get 200k viewers), he just loves planes. He's chatting to a kid about the skills of the pilots now and whether it's easier to land a small or big plane in wind: "Don't forget about the pilots... these guys, they've got big cahonas ... the ladies obviously not..." :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!