The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Slargos on May 09, 2011, 12:28:48 PM
Quote from: Syt on May 09, 2011, 12:26:06 PM
Quote from: Slargos on May 09, 2011, 12:20:53 PM
Whoa. Is that a photoshop?  :huh:

It's from an actual episode that deals with data's dreams. It has more similarly surreal scenes.

I guess it could be an intentionally surreal dream of an old-timey telephone.
it was. IIRC there were even miners with pick axes in the dream.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

So it seems Ryan Giggs is boinking the ex-big brother woman and got a super injunction to stop everyone knowing.
Which of course is the only reason I give a crap.
██████
██████
██████

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 08, 2011, 09:47:23 PM
Quote from: PDH on May 08, 2011, 09:43:44 PM
I like to think I am nothing but a massive bundle of potential.

Jupiter is a massive bundle of potential.
Jupiter's best days are behind it.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Air conditioner broken.  Very Hot. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

QuoteMaryland hires Texas A&M coach Mark Turgeon
New Terps coach went 97-40 in four seasons with Aggies

Maryland on Monday night hired Texas A&M coach Mark Turgeon -- a Larry Brown disciple at Kansas who has been likened to Gary Williams -- to replace Williams as men's basketball coach.

Turgeon, 46, was hired after being interviewed by athletic director Kevin Anderson in Pittsburgh. Turgeon then flew home to Texas, and Maryland delayed an announcement until he could talk to his team.

Turgeon made his name at Wichita State, then went 97-40 in four seasons in College Station with four NCAA tournament trips.

"Maryland's got a great basketball tradition," Turgeon said in a statement. "[These programs are] real similar. It's a gut feeling. Both programs are great. I'm a blessed person to have the choice that I had to make today."

Maryland hired Turgeon after first approaching Pittsburgh coach Jamie Dixon, a friend of Anderson's. "He was always one of the top people on our list," Anderson said of Turgeon. Maryland also courted Arizona's Sean Miller, who agreed to a contract extension to remain with the Wildcats.

Maryland had said it wanted a candidate similar to Williams, the driven, animated coach who has long been the face of Maryland's program.

Turgeon has been likened in basketball circles to Williams. Both are intense and known for their skill with X's and O's.

In fact, Williams suggested to Anderson that he look into hiring Turgeon. After Anderson indicated interest, Turgeon called back and said he was interested.

"He's very, very competitive," Anderson said. "One of the attributes he had is he's not going to back down with anybody. Two of his biggest supporters are Roy Williams and Larry Brown."

Turgeon comes from a school that is less basketball-oriented than Maryland, and he showed frustration on at least one occasion that home attendance was not higher. He worked for an athletic director, Bill Byrne, who came from Nebraska and has been aggressive about keeping his coaches.

Byrne said in a prepared statement: "I'm really sorry to see Mark go. He did a tremendous job for us."

Turgeon had rejected overtures from Oregon last year.

Byrne's son, Greg Byrne, is the Arizona athletic director who signed Miller to a contract extension this past weekend after Maryland courted Miller.

Turgeon played under Brown at Kansas and coached under Brown with the Jayhawks and the NBA's Philadelphia 76ers. Brown and Gary Williams are friends. Turgeon was also an assistant to Roy Williams at Kansas.

Brown, who coached Turgeon at Kansas and hired him to work as a graduate assistant there and later with the Philadelphia 76ers, said in a telephone interview Monday night that he told his former point guard to wait for a place where he could win a national championship before making his next move.

"He could have gone to Tennessee; he probably could have gone to N.C. State. I told him, 'If you're going to leave A&M, make sure you go to a place where you can compete for a national championship,' " Brown said from his home in Philadelphia. "I think he realizes that. "I think Maryland is one of the best jobs in the country. It's got great tradition, it's in a great conference, phenomenal facilities, a terrific school. You're in an area where you can recruit some of the best players in the country, and you don't have to go that far"

Brown said Turgeon, one of his first recruits, "is right up there" with some of his other former assistants, including John Calipari, Bill Self and Gregg Popovich, in terms of his basketball IQ. "Five minutes after the first practice, kids at Maryland will know he can coach," Brown said.

Turgeon would have had three starters back if he had returned to Texas A&M.

Turgeon took Wichita State to the Sweet 16 in 2006 before the Shockers fell to George Mason at Verizon Center.

Turgeon is married with three children, and family issues factored into his decision to accept the post. "He didn't want this to get out until he met with his kids and coaching staff," Anderson said.

Josquius

Thank god I'm not learning Chinese:

██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

That can't possibly be true.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 10, 2011, 05:46:44 AM
QuoteMaryland hires Texas A&M coach Mark Turgeon
New Terps coach went 97-40 in four seasons with Aggies

Saw this in the paper this morning.  Dude never seemed particularly interested in staying in College Station for the long haul (gosh I just can't imagine why).  I'm interested in seeing what aggy has to say about him/Maryland/TAMU Basketball now though. 

Edit:   Christ, I just found the thread about it on the shag quoting a post (from texags) where a dude is already calling him "Turd" and saying Maryland is a lateral move at best. :rolleyes:

Caliga

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 10, 2011, 06:11:39 AM
Why can't it?  It's similar to "Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo" (I think I got that right :hmm: ).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on May 10, 2011, 07:04:06 AM
Why can't it?  It's similar to "Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo" (I think I got that right :hmm: ).
:unsure:

I've definitely become aware of how many homophones English has since I began teaching. And Buffalo can mean a few different things but at least it's a singular word and not one phonetic syllable repeated over and over.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

I forgot about V-E Day. I missed my day of war movies I do every year.  :(
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 10, 2011, 07:34:52 AM
:unsure:

I've definitely become aware of how many homophones English has since I began teaching. And Buffalo can mean a few different things but at least it's a singular word and not one phonetic syllable repeated over and over.

Notice the dots on the i's, they're rather different, guess its different tones.
██████
██████
██████

MadImmortalMan

I was at a concert on Sunday night, and there was an opening band called Powerglove. They were wearing orc armor. The drummer even had two flagpoles stuck on his back with skulls and big banners. They did metal versions of video game music. The setlist included:

Storm Eagle (MegaMan)
Red Wings Over Baron (FF4)
Tetris
Ultimate Weapon (FF7)
Mortal Kombat
(For MK, they threw a bunch of inflatable swords and warhammers into the crowd so they could fight each other)
Mute City (F-Zero)

The arrangements were really good. Especially the Red Wings song. I was: entertained

:P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

There is something similar in Latin.  Malo malo malo malo.

I would rather be
In an apple tree
Than a naughty boy
In adversity
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017