News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Oexmelin on February 17, 2021, 01:30:10 PM
A shame his cancer metastasized to the United States.

The old Raz might have said that was uncalled for.  The less-old Raz knows that Limbaugh made it a point to mock gay people who died of AIDS.  Fuck Limbaugh and fuck the calamity he and his right-wing media types have inflicted on this country.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on February 17, 2021, 03:25:03 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 17, 2021, 03:22:22 PM
Quote from: DGuller on February 17, 2021, 03:17:18 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on February 17, 2021, 03:03:11 PM
That is a frighteningly small amount of counter space for that "kitchen".
:( That's exactly how much counter space I have in my kitchen.  Which incidentally is also part of a living room wall.  In practice, that's a much better arrangement than having a separate kitchen, IMO, I enjoy my kitchen in the living room a lot more than I ever enjoyed separate kitchens in my previous apartments.

I would need to bring in a table to do meal prep
The flat top range doesn't look like a counter, but it can act as one (until you need to cook something on stovetop, obviously).  That gives you more effective counter space than it looks like at first.

What do you do if you need that space for the pots you are using to cook?

Quote from: The Larch on February 17, 2021, 03:48:47 PM
How much space do you need for a normal meal, really?

I suppose it depends on how much time you have to clean up between steps.

A simple meal - chicken with steamed veggies - three separate locations are needed.

Need a space to take the skin off and debone.  Then I use that space to let the chicken sit and come up to room temperature while I attend to other things.

space 2 - Chop up ingredients and prepare the spicing/coating for the chicken. Same space can be used for chopping / preparing the veggies

space 3 - the place you put the baking pan to place the chicken on after it has been prepared.

Go back to space one - apply the coating/spicing the chicken and then place the chicken on the baking pan in space three - place in oven.

When the chicken is close to being done bring water to a boil and move the veggies from location 2 to the range top for steaming.

And that is a simple meal, if you are being more creative/have more dishes you need more space.

celedhring

Quote from: Habbaku on February 17, 2021, 03:54:25 PM
Quote from: DGuller on February 17, 2021, 03:50:20 PM
You must have a much bigger appetite than I do. :unsure:

More like more appliances.

Yeah, one of my countertops is competely taken up by those.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on February 17, 2021, 01:49:43 PM
Regardless of what you thought of Rush, I think "speak no ill of the dead" is a good rule to live by.  I will say nothing, a whole lot of nothing.

Any particular reason why?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: DGuller on February 17, 2021, 03:37:47 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 17, 2021, 03:31:31 PM
Plenty of room for an island or bar.  Builders fucked up.
The problem with islands or bars is that they're wasting space, just like a separate kitchen does.  Here, when you don't need that space for kitchen stuff, you can use it for other things, or just to feel like you have a lot of space in your apartment.  The island would block off the space opposite the counters, so it's not useful for anything else.

Pre-COVID, how often did you entertain? And when you did, for how many people? Not an indictment; just asking for data points.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

PDH

Does entertaining in your mind count?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Grey Fox

I have a 10 feet long peninsula as prep space. It's never enough.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Habbaku

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 17, 2021, 04:40:02 PM
I have a 10 feet long peninsula as prep space. It's never enough.

:yes: Same with regard to not having enough space.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

The first flat I lived in here (as a shared one) did have a similar setup except the open plan kitchen was that - a proper kitchen area in a U sort of shape joined with the living room area. That was acceptable.

We couldn't even fit our appliances on that strip of the living room wall.

It's just depressing, especially considering the price.

DGuller

Quote from: merithyn on February 17, 2021, 04:17:49 PM
The problem with islands or bars is that they're wasting space, just like a separate kitchen does.  Here, when you don't need that space for kitchen stuff, you can use it for other things, or just to feel like you have a lot of space in your apartment.  The island would block off the space opposite the counters, so it's not useful for anything else.

Pre-COVID, how often did you entertain? And when you did, for how many people? Not an indictment; just asking for data points.
It's a pretty rude not an indictment.

Eddie Teach

How dare she not recognize what a social butterfly you are!
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on February 17, 2021, 04:17:49 PM

We had a big 1920s party right shortly before everything shut down last year. Fuck it seems like forever I had a big party. Damn 2020s.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

For the learned folk of Languish who understand probabilities better than I do. :P

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Does the question always lie?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on February 18, 2021, 07:05:24 AM
For the learned folk of Languish who understand probabilities better than I do. :P

I love these actually. I really want to know because on first glance there's no right answer, they all kinda cancel each other.

- If only one answer is correct, chance would be 25% - but there's two "25%" answers so you actually have 50% of hitting those.
- But then 50% can't be the right answer either, because you only have 25% of hitting that one.
- So if neither 25% nor 50% can't be the right answer, it would be 0% - but you have 25% chance of hitting that one.