Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 08, 2020, 02:27:15 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 08, 2020, 02:20:16 PM
Numbers FTW.

Every street in Edmonton runs north-south, while avenues run east-west.  Downtown starts with 100 Ave and 100 St, and they go up or down the further you get away.  Building numbers also correspond to the nearest intersecting street.  My government office building's address is 10365 97 St, which once you know the system means you know it's just off of 103 Avenue.  So just by being given an address you know immediately which part of the city it is in, and can find it pretty easily even if you've never really been to that part of town.

:alberta:
:x No. Addresses aren't to help people find a place - they give character.

Helping to find a place is literally the entire purpose of having addresses.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 08, 2020, 02:27:15 PM
Numbers FTW.

Every street in Edmonton runs north-south, while avenues run east-west.  Downtown starts with 100 Ave and 100 St, and they go up or down the further you get away.  Building numbers also correspond to the nearest intersecting street.  My government office building's address is 10365 97 St, which once you know the system means you know it's just off of 103 Avenue.  So just by being given an address you know immediately which part of the city it is in, and can find it pretty easily even if you've never really been to that part of town.

:x No. Addresses aren't to help people find a place - they give character.

:yes:

In the case of Birmingham they act as a potent warning to never set foot in that city .

Valmy

Yeah it is hard to name things after civic virtues before you start sounding like a 1984 type deal.

"The Avenue of Strength Through Unity"
"Opposing the Oppressors Street"
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

In the case of Edmonton, weather maps perform that function.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 08, 2020, 02:36:10 PM
In the case of Edmonton, weather maps perform that function.

I'll have you know it's a balmy +5c today. :showoff:

Maximus

Numbers FTW.

A number of cities in Alberta use that system and I've missed it.

Though I don't think I've seen a worse system than Saskatoon, which uses 5 different numbering systems plus random street names.

Razgovory

Man, cats are smart.  I told one of my cats that she needs to meow like her sister if she wants me to do something.  I can't read her mind, if she's hungry she needs to tell me.  An hour later they are both meowing at me.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Maximus on December 08, 2020, 04:17:47 PM

Numbers FTW.

A number of cities in Alberta use that system and I've missed it.

Though I don't think I've seen a worse system than Saskatoon, which uses 5 different numbering systems plus random street names.

You know, I used to think that system arose from when all these cities were founded.  But I googled and found no: it was because when an Edmonton-based natural gas company was expanding it encouraged those communities to switch to a edmonton-based numbering system.

https://ama.ab.ca/articles/history-alberta-street-design

Winnipeg might be worse though - not only is there no system, but because it used to be comprised of a bunch of different municipalities until they were merged in the early 70s you can be driving down a street, without making any turns, when suddenly the street changes name.  Some even change their name multiple times as you drive through the city.

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on December 08, 2020, 04:26:59 PM
Man, cats are smart.  I told one of my cats that she needs to meow like her sister if she wants me to do something.  I can't read her mind, if she's hungry she needs to tell me.  An hour later they are both meowing at me.

:yes:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

Sheilbh, are you following this account? :P

https://twitter.com/JamesII_Society/status/1336619362371981313

QuoteSociety for the Canonisation of King James II&VII
@JamesII_Society

A sad anniversary in British history today as on 9th December 1688, William of Orange led his forces to victory over the Jacobites at Battle of Reading. This victory for William resulted in the initial flight of King James VII & II from England.

:P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

:lol: I am now.

I think I'm the only person following that and the Cromwell Museum :ph34r:

Edit: Also obsessed with this comment - there's a lot going on:
QuoteJose Allen
@joseeallyn
GRRRR! The proletariat struggled for years to u dermine the coup that brought MARY to the throne.What a mess. Don't forget the Smugglers of Kent and Sussex (clergy, laity, landed gentry ) who sought to undermine the Hanoverians. They paid with their lives, lands and livelihoods.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

The proletarian struggle for the Stuarts?  :lol:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Habbaku

Quote from: Valmy on December 09, 2020, 03:51:11 PM
The proletarian struggle for the Stuarts?  :lol:

What are the Scottish except the ultimate proletarians?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien