News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

The Guardian is doing a round of redundancies - which are now being announced. According to the Press Gazette (a media trade paper) the redundancy letters have accidentally been sent out with insufficient postage. So members of staff will have to pay the difference (to receive their redundancy notice) and then claim the difference back :ph34r: :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Looking at this and using Excel for a country-wide database, and I am like "and I feel bad when some minor shit in my shitty little project doesn't go exactly as planned" :p

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on October 05, 2020, 05:55:39 AM
Looking at this and using Excel for a country-wide database, and I am like "and I feel bad when some minor shit in my shitty little project doesn't go exactly as planned" :p
I know, right? :blink:

We are not a minimally functional country. But what makes it worse is that so many of the issues are just kind of like the basic project management fuck-ups everyone in a white collar job sees every day. We are The Office :( :weep:
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Tamas, wrong thread?

Didn't you mean to post this in the Coronavirus Megathread?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 05, 2020, 05:19:38 AM
The Guardian is doing a round of redundancies - which are now being announced. According to the Press Gazette (a media trade paper) the redundancy letters have accidentally been sent out with insufficient postage. So members of staff will have to pay the difference (to receive their redundancy notice) and then claim the difference back :ph34r: :bleeding:

You still have to send those via physical mail? Last time I had a non-freelancing employment I had the pleasure of being fired digitally  :lol:

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on October 05, 2020, 06:39:35 AM

You still have to send those via physical mail? Last time I had a non-freelancing employment I had the pleasure of being fired digitally  :lol:
:(

I don't know if it's all paper based, but I know redundancy here is a very formal process so I think you probably do need to a lot of it by paper. There's like multiple stages of notice: notice you're at risk; redundancy consultation; redundancy plan; individuals being made redundant etc.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: mongers on October 05, 2020, 06:28:07 AM

Tamas, wrong thread?

I think it was intentional as he is speaking about the Guardian screw up + the PHE screw up.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 05, 2020, 06:46:38 AM
Quote from: celedhring on October 05, 2020, 06:39:35 AM

:(

I don't know if it's all paper based, but I know redundancy here is a very formal process so I think you probably do need to a lot of it by paper. There's like multiple stages of notice: notice you're at risk; redundancy consultation; redundancy plan; individuals being made redundant etc.

Fair enough, to be honest I'm not that familiar with the process over here. That particular job the whole "you'll be fired after 3 months" was pre-agreed from the start, and the compensation payment was actually folded into the negotiations for my salary.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on October 05, 2020, 06:53:13 AM
Quote from: mongers on October 05, 2020, 06:28:07 AM

Tamas, wrong thread?

I think it was intentional as he is speaking about the Guardian screw up + the PHE screw up.

Thanks Mongers but yeah it was in reaction to the Guardian thing.

celedhring

Yeah. Do you guys still use oil lamps over there?  :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on October 05, 2020, 07:23:09 AM

There was a really bad cyberattack on the NHS a few years back - basically because parts of the NHS IT infrastructure was unpatched Windows XP :bleeding: :ph34r:

I understand that there has been quite a lot of money spent to upgrade systems and improve cybersecurity now :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 05, 2020, 07:27:03 AM
Quote from: celedhring on October 05, 2020, 07:23:09 AM

There was a really bad cyberattack on the NHS a few years back - basically because parts of the NHS IT infrastructure was unpatched Windows XP :bleeding: :ph34r:

I understand that there has been quite a lot of money spent to upgrade systems and improve cybersecurity now :lol:

Oh, don't get me wrong. Spanish health care IT is a fragmented mess of legacy systems, it just makes me feel somewhat better than the UK doesn't seem to fare that much better  :P

Richard Hakluyt

I wonder if there is a national healthcare system with an excellent IT system? I mean the banks have crappy systems too; probably because of the scale of their business and early adoption.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 05, 2020, 08:01:09 AM
I wonder if there is a national healthcare system with an excellent IT system? I mean the banks have crappy systems too; probably because of the scale of their business and early adoption.
:lol: Yeah - I think scale and cellotaping lots of legacy systems together make it very difficult to unpick and fix. Plus I cannot think of higher cost big project that is likely to fail (at least initially) than huge IT overhaul.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Love this map (zoomed in of centrali-ish London) breakdown of electoral wards by second language:
Let's bomb Russia!