News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

There were two amazements.  Her amazement was that the break is unpaid.  My amazement was that she was amazed.

The Brain

I have never encountered a workplace with paid lunch breaks. Is that common in the UK?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

If it's mandatory it should be paid.
It's not so much that paid lunch breaks are common but that work places demand you're there for 8 hours with 30 minutes of it unpaid
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Quote from: Tyr on January 20, 2020, 02:55:32 AM
It's not so much that paid lunch breaks are common but that work places demand you're there for 8 hours with 30 minutes of it unpaid

Over here it's 8 hours, plus 30 minute lunch break, i.e. 8h30.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Over here if you work more than 6 straight hours, your employer has to give you 15 minutes of paid break. So most working hours are 4h + unpaid lunch break + 4h. Working 7.30h straight with a paid 15m break is also popular, particularly in summer months.

dps

Quote from: Tyr on January 20, 2020, 02:55:32 AM

Generally, over here, you don't have to actually be on the premises during an unpaid break;  if you get an unpaid break, you can't leave.

Maladict

Quote from: celedhring on January 20, 2020, 04:03:37 AM
Over here if you work more than 6 straight hours, your employer has to give you 15 minutes of paid break. So most working hours are 4h + unpaid lunch break + 4h. Working 7.30h straight with a paid 15m break is also popular, particularly in summer months.

I think it's a European rule, over 5,5 or 6 hours the employee has a right to a 15 or 30 minute break (if they want one).
It's not mandatory for the employee to take it, so it doesn't have to be paid.

Savonarola

Alstom has a push right now to educate their employees on inclusivity and the like.  They put together a guide to the different countries of the world; with their culture, approach to work and things like that.  It was obviously put together by a French company (the "Summary" quote for the United States comes from Baudelaire) and doesn't always have the most competent translation.  For example the first "Golden rule" for working in Colombia:

Quote1 Always favour face-to-fate encounters. 

:o :o :o
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

mongers

Quote from: Savonarola on January 20, 2020, 11:14:19 AM
snip ...

For example the first "Golden rule" for working in Colombia:

Quote1 Always avoid face-to-fate encounters. 

If they'd gone that little bit more inaccurate in translation, it would be essential guidance for Columbia.  :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Quote from: Savonarola on January 20, 2020, 11:14:19 AM
Alstom has a push right now to educate their employees on inclusivity and the like.  They put together a guide to the different countries of the world; with their culture, approach to work and things like that.  It was obviously put together by a French company (the "Summary" quote for the United States comes from Baudelaire) and doesn't always have the most competent translation.  For example the first "Golden rule" for working in Colombia:

Quote1 Always favour face-to-fate encounters. 

:face:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

If it's fate, it doesn't matter if you try to avoid it or not.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

I thought it was an RPG map

Eddie Teach

Iron Maiden is cool, but over Black Sabbath?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Maladict

I'm disappointed the Vatican doesn't have a metal band.