News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

How about your weird use of the word "haven" (as in, past tense of have) instead of just "have"?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Admiral Yi

The first time I read it I wondered how tossing trash on the street creates a refuge from the stresses of life.

Monoriu

I am soooo relieved that I am not the only one.  I thought my English reading comprehension skill was seriously lacking.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Look at the big Brett on Brain.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Brain on March 31, 2019, 02:25:52 AM
I understood him fine. :bowler:

As a Scandinavian, it's naturally easier for you to understand his Saxon-derived northern dialect.

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 31, 2019, 02:53:46 AM
Quote from: The Brain on March 31, 2019, 02:25:52 AM
I understood him fine. :bowler:

As a Scandinavian, it's naturally easier for you to understand his Saxon-derived northern dialect.

That, and my inherent Bergmanian outlook is as bleak as the northern moors.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Oh wow. Its spelled having.
That just seems.... Wrong. But so goes English.
For a while there googling in my half asleep state it seemed there wasn't actual a word for this sort of past progressivey have.
██████
██████
██████

Threviel

No, Its did not spell having, whoever Its is.

And there you go with the randomizer again.

Maximus

Having is correct.

The phrase "having given up on life" should possibly be in quotes or replaced with a word like "apathetic" in formal English, but this is conversational English.

dps

Its is spelled I-T-S.  Jeez.

:)

crazy canuck

It is,  unless a contraction of it is  :P

Josquius

So. Japan has announced a new era name. This spoof article isn't far from the truth.
It is pretty much called orderly/legally compliant peace

https://www.therisingwasabi.com/japan-to-enter-new-era-year-civil-obedience/
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Quote from: Tyr on April 01, 2019, 12:00:49 PM
So. Japan has announced a new era name. This spoof article isn't far from the truth.
It is pretty much called orderly/legally compliant peace

https://www.therisingwasabi.com/japan-to-enter-new-era-year-civil-obedience/

What that spoof is far of, is of being funny.

Syt

From Reddit: Vienna's 2019 variation on Hopper's Nighthawks.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.