News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 23, 2017, 06:00:50 PM
Here is something of interest regarding mimicking the accents - it has to do with empathy and bonding with those around you.

QuoteScientists from the University of California, Riverside, found the subconscious copying of an accent comes from an inbuilt urge of the brain to "empathise and affiliate"

"This unintentional imitation could serve as social glue, helping us to affiliate and empathise with each other."

So, I guess we have found why this is outside your experience, Garbon and the Grumbles.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/7931299/Humans-subconsciously-mimic-other-accents-psychologists-claim.html

I usually notice when my gf is speaking to friends or family back home, her accent tends to become more pronounced.
That doesn't happen with new (American) friends over here.

Maladict

Quote from: Razgovory on October 23, 2017, 11:10:03 PM
My dad will be coming home today, minus one leg.  He's going to use a wheel chair for a while.

Hope he recovers well, Raz   :)

Tamas

It is the 100th anniversary of the breakthrough at Caporetto.

Thanks to this I have discovered an old (made in 60s I think) documentary, interviews with Hungarian veterans who participated in the battle, and they also brought them to meet Italian veterans.

It is fascinating for the accounts of the battle, but also the opening scene made me think:

You can see this old farmer/peasant guy, struggling a bit to get his horse and cart past the farm's gate, then you can see his living room when interviewed - maybe not poverty poverty, but certainly very humble conditions. He proceeds to explain he was a horse artillery officer, and he shows photos... he was among the help sent to the Dardanelles, then proceeded to Palestine, and then sent back to Romania for the offensive in '16, then on to Caporetto. Also during the war he spent time in Russia, living with a Russian family, having an affair with a lady whose husband was killed.
A childhood friend and fellow WW1 soldier on one of the photos, recently died at the time of filming, in England... he got there after sentenced to 17 years in prison in one of the early 50s mock trials.

It is incredible to think that such fates and lives were behind a many of the old generation I saw growing up.

Grey Fox

I'm proof of CCs argument. I spent a week in London in 2004(Remember I met Languish?!) by day 5 even my francophone accent had changed.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 24, 2017, 07:58:34 AM
I'm proof of CCs argument. I spent a week in London in 2004(Remember I met Languish?!) by day 5 even my francophone accent had changed.

Because you were a kid.

I am deep into my 30s and after 4 years of England my accent is basically unchanged.

A 16 years old Hungarian son of a friend of mine spent a year in school in England. He now speaks like the natives.

Josquius

It begins.
The reason why none of us can be politicians.
Long known this day would one day come but this is the first I've seen it. 

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/labour-urged-to-suspend-mp-over-homophobic-and-sexist-slurs-a3666351.html

██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on October 24, 2017, 08:30:49 AM
It begins.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/labour-urged-to-suspend-mp-over-homophobic-and-sexist-slurs-a3666351.html

Yeah. First when I heard it I was "what a moron to talk like that while in a comity like that". Then today I realised he wrote that 15 years ago. Wow.

Maladict

Quote from: Tamas on October 24, 2017, 07:48:01 AM
It is the 100th anniversary of the breakthrough at Caporetto.

Thanks to this I have discovered an old (made in 60s I think) documentary, interviews with Hungarian veterans who participated in the battle, and they also brought them to meet Italian veterans.

It is fascinating for the accounts of the battle, but also the opening scene made me think:

You can see this old farmer/peasant guy, struggling a bit to get his horse and cart past the farm's gate, then you can see his living room when interviewed - maybe not poverty poverty, but certainly very humble conditions. He proceeds to explain he was a horse artillery officer, and he shows photos... he was among the help sent to the Dardanelles, then proceeded to Palestine, and then sent back to Romania for the offensive in '16, then on to Caporetto. Also during the war he spent time in Russia, living with a Russian family, having an affair with a lady whose husband was killed.
A childhood friend and fellow WW1 soldier on one of the photos, recently died at the time of filming, in England... he got there after sentenced to 17 years in prison in one of the early 50s mock trials.

It is incredible to think that such fates and lives were behind a many of the old generation I saw growing up.

It's also hard to imagine how unknown the outside world was to the local communities.
I remember reading (in the White War, probably) how people evacuated from the Isonzo front to central Italy had never seen pasta before.

Maladict

Quote from: Tyr on October 24, 2017, 08:30:49 AM
It begins.

Good to known those bridges have been burnt, and we can't become president or PM in a moment of weakness.

Razgovory

Quote from: Maladict on October 24, 2017, 05:13:25 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 23, 2017, 11:10:03 PM
My dad will be coming home today, minus one leg.  He's going to use a wheel chair for a while.

Hope he recovers well, Raz   :)

He's home.  He won't get the prosthetic leg for a little while so he's currently limited in what he can do.  Still, he's doing better than when he was went in the hospital three months ago.  My aunt (who was a nurse), didn't think he would last a week.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Glad he's improved.  Is he in good spirits?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

I admire Raz's dad and his tenacious determination to remain alive.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

11B4V

PINEAPPLE DOES NOT BELONG ON PIZZA
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Ed Anger

Basecop enforces food rules from his guard shack
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive