The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: mongers on September 19, 2017, 03:58:16 PM
Quote from: Tyr on September 19, 2017, 03:18:08 PM
Capibaras are very zen animals.
You learn something every day.

But did we really need the 23 Mb GIF to prove it?

There's nothing in the Off Topic thread we need.

garbon

Quote from: mongers on September 19, 2017, 03:58:16 PM
Quote from: Tyr on September 19, 2017, 03:18:08 PM
Capibaras are very zen animals.
You learn something every day.

But did we really need the 23 Mb GIF to prove it?

You on dial up?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Josquius

The will of the people

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-41332138

QuoteCelebrities and sports stars are often credited with influencing parents' choice of baby names - but it seems that politicians rarely have the same effect.
He was barely off the television in 2016 - but in the year of his greatest political triumph, it now seems there was no surge in people wanting to name their baby after Nigel Farage.
Nigel as a baby name has been teetering on the brink of extinction in England and Wales for several years and has now all but disappeared, according to the latest Office for National Statistics figures.
At most there were two Nigels born in 2016 - the ONS doesn't keep the data to tell us whether it was two, one or zero - but we can says for sure that more people in England and Wales named their child Elvis - three - than Nigel last year.
It seems unlikely to be anything personal, or to do with Brexit - there was an increase to 39 in the number of Borises, after all - but instead must just be another casualty of the mysterious forces of fashion that dictate baby names in Britain.
Olivia replaces Amelia as top girl's name
Do we judge people by their name?
Fifth of parents 'regret baby's name'
Where are all the Kevins, Trevors, Sharons, Doreens or, for that matter, Brians now?
Why are names like Oliver, William, Olivia and Emily so popular?
Peak Nigel occurred in 1963 - the year before the former UKIP leader was born - when 5,529 babies were given the name.
Like Norman (14 babies in 2016), Clive (3), Trevor (6) and other popular baby boy names of the mid-20th Century, it has slipped steadily from use, and may have to wait a decade or two more for its inevitable revival - when it is no longer seen as a middle-aged chap's name.
If it's any consolation, its decline was not as steep as that experienced by some 1970s favourites. The first Darren was elected to the House of Commons this year - Labour's Darren Jones. He might well be the last, with just 55 Darrens registered last year.
Darren JonesImage copyrightUK PARLIAMENT
Image caption
The first Darren in Parliament - and the last?

You can tell a lot about a politician or a public figure from their first name.
Some are blessed with neutral-sounding names that can be easily adapted to any circumstance; others are not so lucky.
Tony Blair - who has had children named after him in Kosovo and Sierra Leone (we're not sure about Iraq) in honour of his military interventions in those countries - was rarely Anthony, unless he was appearing as a barrister.
David "call me Dave" Cameron was another prime minister with a classless moniker, unlike his posher-sounding Chancellor Gideon (39 babies in 2016), who changed his name to the ever-popular George (5,236) as a teenager.
George OsborneImage copyrightGETTY IMAGES
The current crop of party leaders are blessed with solid but rather unfashionable first names, befitting their age and background.
Theresa is on the slide from an already low base - 19 babies shared their name with the prime minister last year, compared with 34 two decade ago - and Jeremy hardly fared better in 2016, with 54 newborn boys sharing the Labour leader's name, compared with 108 in 1996.
Corbyn, though, is on the up as a first name - 18 in 2016 compared with less than three in 1996.
There were slightly more baby Vinces (14) than Lib Dem MPs.
Home Secretary Amber Rudd fares a lot better - there were 1,066 baby Ambers last year.
But although Brits have long named their children after film stars and other celebrities - with the new Star Wars film apparently inspiring some choices in 2016 - politicians have rarely been a source of inspiration.
Enoch Powell
Few named their children after Winston Churchill in the 1940s, although the name was popular in the Commonwealth.
But one political name has undergone something of a revival in recent years, with 26 children beginning their journey in life last year as Enoch - up from none two decades earlier.
It is not known how many - if any - named their offspring after controversial "rivers of blood" MP Enoch Powell, however.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

How do you know if you have a classless name?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

merithyn

I have a friend who lives near Oxford who married her husband despite his "very common" first name of Trevor. She seriously wrestled with herself about whether or not she could do so. Turns out she could, and now, 25 years later, they're still happily married. :)

And Trevor is now a mortician after retiring from the Air Force. :D
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Admiral Yi

I think I mentioned the temporary neighbor family who's youngest was named Bella. :bleeding:

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 20, 2017, 03:38:09 PM
I think I mentioned the temporary neighbor family who's youngest was named Bella. :bleeding:

Met a girl once who was named Pretty. Ironically she wasn't.

Josquius

I think someone may have posted this one here already, but on the topic and interesting:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-39278092

"Why it's hard to be a Kevin in France"
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Around here, that's Steve.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on September 20, 2017, 03:57:06 PM
I think someone may have posted this one here already, but on the topic and interesting:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-39278092

"Why it's hard to be a Kevin in France"

As, err, someone who knows a lot of Kevins, that's an interesting but odd article.

Kevin is definitly a name that had a surge of popularity in the 60s-80s or so (there are three Kevin's in my office!), but has died out.

As for the original article that said people don't name their kids after politicians... there is an old fraternity buddy of mine who named his girls Reagan and Harper.  I don't chat much with him but I asked him once on Facebook if he named them after the politicians... he totally did.   :cool:

I got shot down using Preston as a name though. :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

A high school buddy of mine named his Golden Retriever "Nixon."  :lol: