Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on March 20, 2017, 03:17:44 AM
Works in Vienna, too.

I read they have given up on the experiment of having people stand on both sides, DESPITE it being quite helpful in reducing queues.

So silly. There are subways like every 2 or 3 minutes. How often would someone be REALLY in that much of a hurry, that they absolutely have to catch the next one and not the one that arrives in 2 minutes time?

Admiral Yi

Beetlejuice must be one of those guys that does the speed limit in the passing lane.

HVC

they're stairs, just because they're moving doesn't mean you shouldn't walk up or down them. if you just have to be that guy and don't want to walk, then stand to the right dammit.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 18, 2017, 08:19:39 PM
The twins are showing an intrest in my book collection. Seeing that Glen Cook and Pournelle novels aren't on their level yet, I took them to the bookstore and bought the each the complete Harry Potter( :yuk:) and some bullshit Percy Jackson crap.

I should have let them read my ancient D&D novels. My wallet would stop crying then. OR HOW ABOUT RUBICON? The roman republic bloodletting is appropriate for 9 year olds.

In the topic of reading material for 9 year olds, I went on Amazon and bought my son a book on the French Revolution but was disappointed to find out it was only 60 pages long when it arrived (I guess I sort of assumed they'd use more pages to go over a topic like that but I should have checked).  Anyway, he seems to be developing an interest in history-- can anyone recommend historical non-fiction books for that general age range? 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

frunk

Cartoon History of the Universe is the first one that comes to mind, although it might be better in a couple of years.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: HVC on March 20, 2017, 01:05:54 PM
they're stairs, just because they're moving doesn't mean you shouldn't walk up or down them. if you just have to be that guy and don't want to walk, then stand to the right dammit.

Hear, hear.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on March 20, 2017, 12:55:03 PM
So silly. There are subways like every 2 or 3 minutes. How often would someone be REALLY in that much of a hurry, that they absolutely have to catch the next one and not the one that arrives in 2 minutes time?

Actually the time you'll wait varies by line. Victoria is every minute but trains to High Barnet or the DLR can be more like 5-10.  I think it can make a significant difference if you are taking tube to try and catch a train.

Also, people might like getting to their destination more than the journey.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

I'll stand where I want.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

HVC

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 20, 2017, 06:12:53 PM

I'll stand where I want.

I give the infirm a pass ;)
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

CountDeMoney

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

CountDeMoney

Admiral Yi