News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

Anyplace I have ever lived got one bill per apartment.  The power company didn't care who paid what as long as the total was paid every month, it was up to the roommates to decide who paid how much.

Neil

Quote from: Tyr on March 23, 2010, 12:33:56 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on March 23, 2010, 10:15:44 AM
Quote from: Neil on March 23, 2010, 10:11:58 AM
Quote from: Tyr on March 23, 2010, 06:16:06 AM
There were tanks in the pacific? :unsure:
Why wouldn't there be?
Overwhelming modern notion that the Pacific theatre was fought at sea & in jungles on small islands.
It pretty much was wasn't it?
The Asian theatre is another matter bu the Pacific theatre...islands and ocean.
Yeah, but tanks are rather useful when you're fighting on an island, so both sides brought them with them.  Kind of like how the US, Britain and Canada brought tanks with them when they landed in France.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Agelastus

Damn. My favourite anime blog, Random Curiosity, is shutting down.

I've relied on him for years for the season previews. :(
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Agelastus on March 24, 2010, 06:31:19 PM

Anything good come out in the last year?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Agelastus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 24, 2010, 06:56:58 PM

Mostly very average stuff; nothing unmissable. The anime adaptation of "Omamori Himari" has disappointed seriously, for example. And I can barely remember the shows from six months or more ago.

Actually, I tell a lie. There's been one surprising gem recently, "Sora no Otoshimono". I really hope it gets a second season. There should be enough material from the manga for one given another six months or so.

But the latest season (judging from another site's preview) is the worst yet. Normally I can find 5 or 6 shows that I find at least passable or amusing, but this season I'm not sure I'll even be able to find 3 shows.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Monoriu

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 24, 2010, 11:27:03 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on March 24, 2010, 11:23:15 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on March 24, 2010, 11:21:58 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on March 24, 2010, 11:00:21 AM
If there is more than one tenant in the flat, then separate metres would be installed.

That makes no sense.

Why?  It's the only way to make everyone accountable for their own electricity usage.

How do you separate it? Especially for the common areas of the flat?

Separate wires?  Everyone gets their own TV?

CountDeMoney

You know, I've only been on my new job for three days, but if you can imagine it, the hatred I possess for the Chinese has already grown exponentially.

Agelastus

Quote from: Monoriu on March 24, 2010, 07:22:41 PM
If there is more than one tenant in the flat, then separate metres would be installed.

That makes no sense.

Why?  It's the only way to make everyone accountable for their own electricity usage.

I can see it working with lights and TVs etc. but surely you don't have multiple fridges or ovens?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Grey Fox

Quote from: Monoriu on March 24, 2010, 07:22:41 PM

That makes no sense.

Thats way too complicated to implement.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Monoriu

In HK, flats that have separate tenants are typically operated by a very strong landlord, with tons of experience, money, muscle, and "background".  It's not a few strangers or friends sharing a unit.  It's big business, with mafia backing. 

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Agelastus on March 24, 2010, 07:04:36 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 24, 2010, 06:56:58 PM

Mostly very average stuff; nothing unmissable. The anime adaptation of "Omamori Himari" has disappointed seriously, for example. And I can barely remember the shows from six months or more ago.

Actually, I tell a lie. There's been one surprising gem recently, "Sora no Otoshimono". I really hope it gets a second season. There should be enough material from the manga for one given another six months or so.

But the latest season (judging from another site's preview) is the worst yet. Normally I can find 5 or 6 shows that I find at least passable or amusing, but this season I'm not sure I'll even be able to find 3 shows.
What are these about?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Zanza

@Mono: I think it's not feasible to not have a shared bill. We do share the flat and its facilities as well. Having seperate fridges, seperate air con in the common area or a washing machine each would not work. ;) That would basically mean all of us have our own flat.

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 24, 2010, 10:59:58 AM
Hey Zanza, turned out that you rented a room or a sofa?
It's a room. The difference between "master" and "common" room in Singapore is that the former has its own bathroom, while I have to share it with my flatmates. As it happens my room used to be the living room of the flat, but they put in another wall so that they could rent it out as well and maximize profit.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 24, 2010, 07:24:24 PM
You know, I've only been on my new job for three days, but if you can imagine it, the hatred I possess for the Chinese has already grown exponentially.

You working for the government?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Agelastus

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 24, 2010, 08:52:01 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 24, 2010, 07:24:24 PM

You working for the government?

Nope.  More important than those guys.