The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

Quote from: Hamilcar on October 16, 2016, 11:45:42 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 16, 2016, 10:33:12 AM
I'd ask Ed if he was going to take that laying down, but he probably is laying down right now.

I shouldn't laugh, but....  :lol:

Go ahead. My feelings won't be hurt.

I was actually lying down.  :)

Syt

Watched a streamer playing CK2 on Twitch yesterday. He's a 50-something guy in Texas. Someone started to talk politics in chat, but he capped that off, and said he doesn't care what group someone belongs to or what they believe in, as long as they aren't douchebags.

He said there's one exception from the rule: White Texans. :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

It seems I have to travel in December for a few days and I have a choice of two thrilling destinations.  Warsaw or Frankfurt.
Which should I take ?
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Duque de Bragança

Frankfurt (am Main I assume) is a nice staging area for a day trip to Heidelberg from there, among other options. in Frankfurt, visit the Städel Museum and the Roman castle in the outskirts. Plus you get to taste the real Frankfurter sausage! Avoid the local "cider", apfelwein or Ebbelwoi, it's crap. Goethe's Haus is not compulsory.
Frankfurt is closer to the French border than Warsaw though so I guess that's a minus for you.  :P

Grinning_Colossus

Warsaw. Everything is cheap and the people are attractive. I wish I could have spent more than 12 hours there.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Grinning_Colossus

Can anyone recommend a book on the history of the Dubya administration? It occurs to me that enough time has passed for interesting shit to have come out.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on October 17, 2016, 08:03:30 PM
Can anyone recommend a book on the history of the Dubya administration? It occurs to me that enough time has passed for interesting shit to have come out.

That is going to be a toughie--because it's so recent so many are either apologetic (Podhoretz), scathing (hell, take your pick from Vidal onwards) or questioned by one side and/or the other (Woodward).

From what I've read review-wise, this one seems to be the most balanced--as a history, and unlike some other works, with active participation from Dubya over several interviews with the White House correspondent from the NYT--
https://www.amazon.com/Days-Fire-Cheney-White-House/dp/0385525184

You want a more...esoteric angle, Peter Singer's "The President of Good and Evil" is, well, very Peter Singerish.

CountDeMoney

Holy People's Shit

MUST HAVE NAO

Ed Anger

Grinning_Colossus

Thanks, CDM. I'll check them out. :)

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould