Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on September 13, 2016, 02:32:45 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 13, 2016, 10:04:48 AM
Quote from: derspiess on September 13, 2016, 10:00:54 AM
I had a goddamned shrew get in my basement this summer.  Glue trap + shovel got him.

'The murdering of the Shrew' in two acts.

Took me weeks to catch that fucker.  My office is down in the basement, and I would constantly hear him making little rodent-like noises. 

I had squirrels in my attic for awhile. You could hear the fuckers running around up there.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

The Vienna Natural History Museum has been added to Google's Art's & Culture thingy for virtual visits with Streetview technology: https://www.google.com/culturalinstitute/beta/partner/natural-history-museum-vienna

The Kunsthistorisches has been on it for a while: https://www.google.com/culturalinstitute/beta/streetview/kunsthistorisches-museum-vienna-museum-of-fine-arts/QAE0GH5UW71JOg
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on September 13, 2016, 02:38:18 PM
I had a goddamned shrew get in my basement this summer.  Glue trap + shovel got him.

Took me weeks to catch that fucker.  My office is down in the basement, and I would constantly hear him making little rodent-like noises. 

I had squirrels in my attic for awhile.

:console:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

EU post-brexit: Free wifi in all capitals in 2020, 5G network covering all Europe 2025.

Also, from May 2017 no roaming charges in EU. :yeah:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josquius

Yeah! Well. Err. ... we has the nebulous concept of freedom so :p
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on September 13, 2016, 02:38:18 PM

I had squirrels in my attic for awhile. You could hear the fuckers running around up there.

That euphemism is how you came to terms with your problem?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Mongers in drive-by mode?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

11B4V

Male officer and his wife swing with a female officer, now the wife is mad. Doesn't want her husband to work with the female officer. For fuck's sake. :lmfao:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on September 14, 2016, 07:51:50 PM
Male officer and his wife swing with a female officer, now the wife is mad. Doesn't want her husband to work with the female officer. For fuck's sake. :lmfao:

Oh, good grief.

WE DISCUSSED THIS AT LENGTH MARGARET

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 14, 2016, 07:54:06 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on September 14, 2016, 07:51:50 PM

Oh, good grief.

WE DISCUSSED THIS AT LENGTH MARGARET

Never a dull moment. To top it off the dumbass active duty sailors that are harbor patrol dropped an M4 in the bay. Dumbfucks. At least it wasn't a 240.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

And why not.

QuoteTrue Crime
'It's what she wanted': Dad in custody battle kills daughter in front of park rangers, police say
By Kristine Guerra September 14 at 12:32 PM
Washington Post

When two National Park Service rangers saw a car parked along the shoulder of the Blue Ridge Parkway near a man and a little girl walking down a steep embankment, they thought they were simply investigating illegal campers.

Minutes later, the man, Seth Pickering, began building a campfire out of underbrush, according to a criminal complaint. Unaware that the girl, Pickering's own 6-year-old daughter, had been reported missing, one of the rangers walked toward the pair near the road in North Carolina.

"It's going fine, nothing going on," Pickering said, according to the complaint.

Then, out of nowhere, Pickering turned away and lunged at his daughter, who was standing a few feet behind him.

The ranger heard a thud and a high-pitched grunt, the complaint said.

The girl with curly hair fell to the ground with a knife on her chest.

"Did you just stab her?" the ranger asked Pickering.

As he handcuffed her father, the other ranger tried to resuscitate Lila Pickering, but to no avail.

When asked why he killed his own daughter, the complaint states, Pickering said: "Now they will never be able to take her away from me. She's happier now. ... It's what she wanted."

Pickering had been in a custody fight over his daughter, who weeks earlier was temporarily placed under the care of a custodian for the Buncombe County Department of Health Services.

The complaint does not say why the girl was placed under protective care, but Pickering was allowed supervised visits.

On Friday, at about 5:20 p.m., Pickering was supposed to have one such visit with Lila. But, according to the complaint, he took his daughter without the custodian's permission.

"Seth, please don't do this, they will put you in jail," the custodian told Pickering as he was placing Lila in his vehicle, according to the complaint.

Pickering shook his head and drove off.

The custodian reported the girl missing to the Buncombe County Sheriff's Office.

Less than an hour later, the rangers happened upon Pickering's Dodge Avenger during a routine patrol.

In a recorded interview with a sheriff's detective, Pickering said he took his daughter to the parkway to go camping and was setting up a campsite when he saw the rangers, according to the complaint.

Shortly after one of the rangers approached him, Pickering said his daughter made him promise "that they would never take her away from me again," according to the complaint.

"I reacted the only way I knew that she could go to sleep without having to cry, 'Daddy I want to come home, '" Pickering told detectives. "I knew as soon as they showed up, they would take her away from me and never let me see her again."

Pickering, 36, has been charged with murder.

Investigators found two kitchen knife blocks in Pickering's home in Leicester, N.C.; each block was missing one knife, according to the complaint.

One set consists of knives with silver or metallic handles and a black, oval-shaped decorative peg where the handle joins the blade. The knife found on Lila's chest matched the knives found in Pickering's home, authorities said.

Autopsy results indicate that Lila was stabbed in the heart and a lung, according to media reports.

Pickering's estranged wife told the Asheville Citizen-Times that Lila was placed under protective care because her husband struck another woman. Seth Pickering moved to a duplex in Leicester about three weeks earlier and left the mobile home he'd shared with his wife, Ashley, the paper reported.

Hours before her daughter's death, Ashley Pickering said, a child protective services case worker from the county told her that her Lila "was happy and healthy and in a great home," the Citizen-Times reported.

"They were going to work on getting her back down here," said Ashley Pickering, who now lives in Florida.

But at about 2 a.m. Saturday, she got a call from a detective, who told her that her daughter had been killed and her estranged husband is the suspect, according to the paper.

"What they said to me just keeps playing in my head like a broken record," she told the Citizen-Times.

Ashley Pickering said she and her husband separated because he was abusive; they'd been locked in a custody battle for more than a year.

Still, she did not believe her daughter would be in danger. Seth Pickering was a loving father, she said, and his daughter adored him.

"She loved her daddy so much," Ashley Pickering told the paper. "She would jump in his lap and smile and laugh and be so happy when he was holding her."

More than $2,000 has been raised.

Seth Pickering, who is being held in the Buncombe County Detention Center, appeared in county court on Monday. Public defender LeeAnn Melton, who represented him there, was not immediately available for comment Wednesday.

The case has been transferred to federal court because the crime is alleged to have taken place on federal property.

Pickering is scheduled to appear before a federal judge next week, according to an online docket, which does not yet list a new attorney for Pickering.

On Monday, Lila's friends brought flowers to the first-grader's school and placed them at her desk, according to media reports.

Johnston Elementary School Principal Charlotte Hipps described Lila as a "precious" and "bubbly" girl.

Lila "just had a presence," Hipps told the Citizen-Times. "She was a very happy-go-lucky little girl, despite the circumstances in her life. It doesn't seem to ever get her down."

Her classmates also made cards for her.

"I hope you have a good time in heaven," one student wrote.

11B4V

Barrister

Holy Fuck what is wrong with some people. :cry:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.