News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

True as the blog notes it is built on pie in the sky thinking.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

The proposal does not seem to take into account the concept of price elasticity of demand.

DGuller

On the one hand, it makes clear economic sense to price subway rides based on how much you're actually using them.  On the other hand, I did find DC Metro highly confusing, after being used to single-zone NYC subway.  If the economic benefits of more refined pricing are not that significant, then maybe single zone is the way to go just for the sake of user-friendliness.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on January 06, 2016, 07:04:37 PM
On the one hand, it makes clear economic sense to price subway rides based on how much you're actually using them.

I dunno, I think from the city's point of view it makes better sense to have non-users subsidize users.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 06, 2016, 07:11:54 PM
On the one hand, it makes clear economic sense to price subway rides based on how much you're actually using them.

I dunno, I think from the city's point of view it makes better sense to have non-users subsidize users.

Yeah, I reckon the pricing logic to maximize economic benefit to a city overall does not necessarily map directly to the pricing logic of individual users.

DGuller

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 06, 2016, 07:11:54 PM

I see your point, but I think subsidies and fare systems should be determined separately from each other.  There is a big difference between non-users subsidizing the users, and low-users subsidizing high-users.

Jacob

Quote from: DGuller on January 06, 2016, 07:40:32 PM
I see your point, but I think subsidies and fare systems should be determined separately from each other.  There is a big difference between non-users subsidizing the users, and low-users subsidizing high-users.

What's your reasoning here?

DGuller

Quote from: Jacob on January 06, 2016, 07:44:59 PM

If non-users subsidize the users, you encourage utilization.  If low-users subsidize high-users, then you discourage utilization for the low-users.

Jacob

Quote from: DGuller on January 06, 2016, 07:50:01 PM

If non-users subsidize the users, you encourage utilization.  If low-users subsidize high-users, then you discourage utilization for the low-users.

Ah yeah. That makes sense.

Josquius

This is London though.
You're not going to buy a car just because the underground costs you a pound more.
A bike maybe. Which is a good thing.

QuoteI see your point, but I think subsidies and fare systems should be determined separately from each other.   
Current thinking on benefits is moving away from a myriad of subsidies and more towards keeping things as simple as possible.
It makes more sense to charge the poor less to begin with than to charge them highly and give them a chance to do some paperwork to reclaim some of that.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on January 07, 2016, 02:49:49 AM

This is London though.
You're not going to buy a car just because the underground costs you a pound more.
A bike maybe. Which is a good thing.

:lol:

I don't think that's how it works.

QuoteI see your point, but I think subsidies and fare systems should be determined separately from each other.   
Current thinking on benefits is moving away from a myriad of subsidies and more towards keeping things as simple as possible.
It makes more sense to charge the poor less to begin with than to charge them highly and give them a chance to do some paperwork to reclaim some of that.

Ah yes, the only reason someone would choose not to live in Central London is because they are poor. Also, I think you are using subsidy in a different manner.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Distribution of factions across countries in the game Star Wars: Commander.

The north/south distribution between Empire and Rebellion fans is... telling.

Admiral Yi

The Green Party proposal doesn't differentiate on income.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tyr on January 06, 2016, 05:53:58 PM
http://londonist.com/2016/01/no-more-zones

The green party want to make all of London one fair zone.
You know....that actually makes a lot of sense.

Depends what zone they choose to harmonise the prices, if they lower or rise prices overall.
It does not make more sense if you want to get more money to improve transportation in the far suburbs, outside of the real centre, where the problem is not price, but the lack of public transportation. Financing Crossrail by cutting prices won't work.
The Left and Greens here did it for Paris and Île-de-France (so bigger than Greater London for the latter). It's an even bigger mess to find money to maintain the network, let alone improve it.

Syt

celed: Is this like Clash of Clans in Star Wars?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.