News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 08, 2015, 11:38:49 AM
Cheering for Toronto is very hard. Cheering for an American league team is harder.

:blurgh:  DH4EVAH!
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Berkut

Quote from: Maladict on October 05, 2015, 03:17:24 AM
http://www.boston.com/news/2015/09/29/old-ironsides-now-the-only-commissioned-ship-the-navy-have-sunk-enemy-ship/aIS1rNzaRZ1jjn0CTtWbjJ/story.html
The USS Constitution stands alone.

The American frigate, known for its role in the War of 1812, is now the only ship in the U.S. Navy to sink an enemy vessel in action. The only other ship to share that title, the 30-year-old USS Simpson, was decommissioned on Tuesday.

The ship, also known as Old Ironsides, is currently in dry dock in the Charlestown Navy Yard for a two-year restoration project, estimated between $10 and $15 million.

Someone I met at WBC had a pen made out of wood that was supposedly from the USS Constitution. Supposedly, as part of its ongoing maintenance, various wooden parts are replaced, and the wood replaced is then turned into these nice wooden engraved pens.

No idea if it is true or not, but it it IS true, that would actually be pretty damn cool.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

frunk

Quote from: Berkut on October 08, 2015, 12:20:37 PM

Someone I met at WBC had a pen made out of wood that was supposedly from the USS Constitution. Supposedly, as part of its ongoing maintenance, various wooden parts are replaced, and the wood replaced is then turned into these nice wooden engraved pens.

No idea if it is true or not, but it it IS true, that would actually be pretty damn cool.

I was at the USS Constitution this summer, and there were brass plaques that you could sign that would be put onto the hull for the next ~20 years.  I wouldn't be surprised if during rebuilds they also sell off the wood.

lustindarkness

http://www.boston.com/news/2015/09/29/old-ironsides-now-the-only-commissioned-ship-the-navy-have-sunk-enemy-ship/aIS1rNzaRZ1jjn0CTtWbjJ/story.html

The American frigate, known for its role in the War of 1812, is now the only ship in the U.S. Navy to sink an enemy vessel in action. The only other ship to share that title, the 30-year-old USS Simpson, was decommissioned on Tuesday.

The ship, also known as Old Ironsides, is currently in dry dock in the Charlestown Navy Yard for a two-year restoration project, estimated between $10 and $15 million.

I would buy one.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Malthus

The USS Constitution sounds like a concrete example of the "Ship of Theseus" paradox:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus

;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

I was thinking the same. :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on October 08, 2015, 01:50:07 PM
The USS Constitution sounds like a concrete example of the "Ship of Theseus" paradox:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus

;)

Okay, so I was forced into watching LEGO Batman: the Movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2465238/

(which, as an aside, was kind of amusing with just enough throwbacks to parents to keep your attention).

Now despite the title, it has almost as much Superman in it as it does Batman.  Anyways the movie starts in the middle of the action.  Batman and Superman storm Lex Luthor's tower, where unfortunately they have been defeated.  Superman is trapped in a kryptonite ray, and batman is squished under a shipping container.

The movie then goes "several days earlier" and explains how they got to that tragic end.

So anyways - how do our heroes escape death?  Once Luthor and the Joker have explained their plot and left, they go "Good thing we took the precaution of dressing up in each other's costumes" - and proceeded to swap back and forth all of their lego parts, head included.

I'm like. :hmm:  I see a problem in this plan...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

:unsure: The fact that they have to swap penises as well?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 08, 2015, 11:38:49 AM
Cheering for Toronto is very hard. Cheering for an American league team is harder.

Toronto is an American league team.  :huh:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

Yes, two despicable things.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

What do Poland, London, Paris, and Banana have in common? They're places in Kiribati.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Liep

Quote from: Liep on October 05, 2015, 06:45:08 AM
One of my Sonos speakers keeps losing the bass sound. Warrenty, of course, just ran out. :angry:

Sonos replaced it anyway. :huh:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

This popped up in my Facebook:

—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Yeah the gun people are posting more and more hysterical memes.

But it is true that assault rifles kill a very small number of people every year. There are just not that many of them floating around out there. Handguns are the big killers.

I wonder what their source is for medical malpractice. 2.5 million Americans died that year. Damn almost 10% of all deaths is medical malpractice?

Probably a quote from some attorney lobbyist group.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

lustindarkness

Hmmm, I wonder why they did not include the numbers for guns? :hmm:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom