News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

A car drives up close to me and the passenger shouts: "Police! Pull over". I look at him and he's clearly drunk so I don't react. Then he throws an egg at me that hits me but shatters only on the ground. He then bursts into laughter and the car drives off.

Weirdos, but I called the police. Hopefully they can find those drunks and take their license before they crash into something.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Ideologue

Quote from: Malthus on July 02, 2015, 02:46:00 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 02, 2015, 02:44:46 PM
Since January. She's going to grad school in the liberal arts at CMU. It's sort of like a job.

I take it that you haven't incessently worried her ears with your "STEM" lecture?  ;)

I don't mention it very much. Anyway, it's not like she's going to,law school.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on July 02, 2015, 05:09:33 PM
Since January. She's going to grad school in the liberal arts at CMU. It's sort of like a job.

I take it that you haven't incessently worried her ears with your "STEM" lecture?  ;)

Values compromised for pussy. :angry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: Savonarola on July 02, 2015, 02:51:06 PM

In a decade a job that might actually pay.   ;)

I liked Pittsburgh, I thought it had a neat downtown (although my basis for comparison is Detroit.)  Is she going for her PhD?

Yep. And then the glorious world of adjuncting.

It's dumb, and she kinda knows it, but it's not like she has skills. (History undergrad.)

She does not like it when I imply her field of study is borderline-worthless, especially with the advent of social activism in the Internet which renders professional cultural studies (her Ph.D. field) obsolete. But hey, again, she could be going to law school. At least this is free, and even comes with a teaching stipend.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on July 02, 2015, 05:11:58 PM

One is constrained terribly by the choices they make early in life. In her case, matriculating at an elite college (Smith), studying history, but due to family circumstances only finishing at USC (the bad one).

So now the choice is grad school or waiting tables. (Actually, with my income, this wouldn't be so bad, but...)

The world hates you if you're not STEM (or Stanford) but the window for such opportunities is lost like tears in the rain, along with our youthful good looks and beliefs in God and human justice.
Kinemalogue

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Ideologue on July 02, 2015, 05:18:01 PM
The world hates you if you're not STEM (or Stanford) but the window for such opportunities is lost like tears in the rain, along with our youthful good looks and beliefs in God and human justice.

First, the world does not hate you if you aren't STEM.  In fact, the world seems to hate many disciplines that are. :P

Second, the window of opportunity is not lost.  Pittsburgh is actually a pretty good place to make the transition if you really want to.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

MadBurgerMaker

Whiny baby post:  I had a little procedure done for the calcific tendonitis in my shoulder that has been bothering me for about a year now.  Only took them 5 or so minutes to jam a bunch of needles into my damn shoulder in an attempt to "break it up because it's like a rock," and fuck man it hurts more than it did before.   :cry:

:smarty: "Okay we're all set.  This is going to be like a bee sting!"
:nerd: "Heh.  I've never been stung by a bee."
:smarty: "Like a rattlesnake bite then! Okay here we go!"
:blink: "...wait...."

Doctor jokes:  Not so good.

E:  Basically in addition to the usual pain from the tendonitis, it now also feels all....kind of hard to describe...like deeply bruised?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Ideologue on July 02, 2015, 05:18:01 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 02, 2015, 05:11:58 PM

One is constrained terribly by the choices they make early in life. In her case, matriculating at an elite college (Smith), studying history, but due to family circumstances only finishing at USC (the bad one).

So now the choice is grad school or waiting tables. (Actually, with my income, this wouldn't be so bad, but...)

You should both teach English in Japan together.  It would make for a romantic, exotic adventure.  :)

alfred russel

Ide, great luck in pittsburgh, but tell your girlfriend to keep her head on a swivel. Rape culture is very strong there, see ben roethlisberger.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Syt

My sister leaves Pittsburgh, and Ide moves there. Coincidence? :shifty:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

katmai

Ide, keep me up to date on housing in Yinzerland por favor. :shifty:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son