Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Valmy on July 02, 2015, 10:07:47 AM
Quote from: Tyr on July 02, 2015, 10:07:13 AM
No

So hard for me to imagine a world without AC.
It's my usual experience in life. Japan was a revelation with it's AC everywhere setup.
Switzerland has heating but doesn't really need it where I live. We could use AC a lot more
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Recommendation to deal with the upcoming heat on a webpage:

"If you have to work at your computer, lower the heat by disabling the firewall. Don't use Firefox or your CD/DVD burner. Be sure to open as many windows as possible to create a draft."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

If you don't have AC that means you must be heating with a furnace.  How primitive.

Liep

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 02, 2015, 10:20:35 AM
If you don't have AC that means you must be heating with a furnace.  How primitive.

How do you draw that conclusion?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 02, 2015, 10:20:35 AM

I have a tankless gas boiler in my apartment that sends hot water to the radiators in winter. It's still very common in Vienna, though new apartments often have central heating or long distance heating.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Liep on July 02, 2015, 10:21:33 AM

Because you generally either heat with a furnace or a heat pump.  A heat pump doubles as AC.

Liep

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 02, 2015, 10:23:09 AM

Because you generally either heat with a furnace or a heat pump.  A heat pump doubles as AC.

Plenty of people heat with electricity, most people in Copenhagen has district heating though.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Malthus

The heating system in my house dates to the early 1930s, when the house was built - that is, hot water boiled by a furnace distributed in radiators (the furnace is new - we replaced the ancient oil furnace with a modern gas one).

Air con is by a unit mounted on the wall - it does the whole house. We added that too - the original owners had window units in each room.

Here at least, you really need both AC and heating. In the summers it gets really, really hot.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Central hearing is the normal modern way to heat (it has been around a while but still going fine).
I've only seen those low down air pump things in some older mid 20th century houses.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Apparently it is the normal modern way in countries that send people home because it's too hot.

The Brain

Quote from: Tyr on July 02, 2015, 10:33:25 AM
Central hearing is the normal modern way to heat (it has been around a while but still going fine).
I've only seen those low down air pump things in some older mid 20th century houses.

Come again?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 02, 2015, 10:23:09 AM

My place has electric radiators in each room. Actually my place in SF was the same though I was afraid those would catch fire and I never used them.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

My house has electric radiators in each rooms, like Garbon.

I have 4 window ACs. I want to change it for a wall mounted unit that can do the whole house because the downside of window ACs is the noise. So much fucking noise.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 02, 2015, 10:35:11 AM
Apparently it is the normal modern way in countries that send people home because it's too hot.
Heating people wouldn't really help with that.
When I was in japan I learned that using AC to heat was a terrible and inefficient thing to do. Most people use kerosene heaters or various forms of electric heater
██████
██████
██████