And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: LaCroix on June 28, 2015, 02:09:56 PM
Quote from: Syt on June 28, 2015, 05:14:09 AM
http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/06/north-dakota-oil-boom-bust/396620/?utm_source=SFFB

QuoteA North Dakota Oil Boom Goes Bust
What will happen to those who built their lives on it?

[CdM]Told ya so![/CdM]

the tone of that article really exaggerates the situation here. the boom has slowed down due to oil prices, yes, but there's definitely not a bust. the slowdown has allowed oil companies to catch up by improving infrastructure, etc. the major goal for a lot of oil companies is to reduce flaring, which is still a major issue that's caused by lack of pipeline infrastructure. as well, oil companies can actually be a little selective these days re: employment.

I prefer the version that allows me to be shrill.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

katmai

Quote from: Ideologue on June 28, 2015, 06:02:14 PM
Quote from: Syt on June 28, 2015, 05:14:09 AM
http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/06/north-dakota-oil-boom-bust/396620/?utm_source=SFFB

QuoteA North Dakota Oil Boom Goes Bust
What will happen to those who built their lives on it?

[CdM]Told ya so![/CdM]

Oh, so it's not good times forever.

I remember when you idiots were all like, "Hey, go to ND and participate in its bubble economy where everything costs three times as much and you have to sleep in a rapehouse with thirty other men.  I'm sure your lack of oilperson skills will take you all the way to the top of the Taco Bell!"

How goes that sporadic work in South Carolina that is making you become a man bitch and follow your women to Pennsylvania?
:P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on June 28, 2015, 06:02:14 PM
Oh, so it's not good times forever.

I remember when you idiots were all like, "Hey, go to ND and participate in its bubble economy where everything costs three times as much and you have to sleep in a rapehouse with thirty other men.  I'm sure your lack of oilperson skills will take you all the way to the top of the Taco Bell!"

It wasn't a bubble.  Bubbles are overvalued assets.  It was a boom.

As the article points out, kids with HS degrees were making six figures.  Couple years of that, working all the time, with no place to spend your money, no choice but to come out at the end with a nice bankroll.

Tonitrus

Unless like, a lot of classic boom towns, they blow it all on booze, whores, drugs and gambling.  :P

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 28, 2015, 07:16:32 PM
Unless like, a lot of classic boom towns, they blow it all on booze, whores, drugs and gambling.  :P

Or $200,000 worth of blu-rays.  But then that would have nothing to do with the quality of the advice I gave ide.

Syt

There's an Austrian news site I check weekly for their competitions where you can win concert tickets etc. Currently they're doing a promo for Giliette: "Mother-daughter special for the first shave!" They're raffling off mother-daughter shaving sets (razors, creams etc.).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tonitrus

I am sure they are thinking about shaving legs/pits.   :sleep:

The Larch

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Zanza

There was a map with growth figures for Europe posted here recently. You can now zoom into every single county on a Europe wide scale here:
http://interaktiv.morgenpost.de/europakarte/#5/44.731/4.526/en

derspiess

Need an interactive soda map for Europe.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on June 29, 2015, 01:20:34 PM

A pop map would be much more useful.

Zanza

The German word is "Softdrink".  :lol:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 29, 2015, 01:26:33 PM

A pop map would be much more useful.

Eurovision is lame.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Zanza