News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: derspiess on June 12, 2015, 12:46:58 PM
One pet peeve that has been an increasing problem with local BBQ places, food trucks, etc. is when they don't advertise that they put cole slaw on a pulled pork BBQ sandwich and just assume you like it that way.  Bleh.

I like sauerkraut on mine. I'm strange.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

derspiess

Sauerkraut wouldn't be an issue.  I could pick that off and eat it on the side without much trouble.  But cole slaw soaks into the pulled pork and the bun, and just ruins the whole thing.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ideologue

Quote from: Valmy on June 12, 2015, 12:47:24 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on June 12, 2015, 12:17:37 PM
It's mustard BBQ around here. Is NC different?

My wife is from Wilmington and her father's family is always making us eat their regional delicacy and it is pork with vinegar sauce called BBQ :angry:

There may be variations I concede -_-

Maurice's BBQ and Rope Supply Shop is mustard-based, anyway. Guess I was wrong about NC.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Rope supplies?  Like all the stuff you need to buy to keep your rope operating efficiently?  :huh:

Ideologue

Well you just try to go a-lynching without the proper rope and rope supplies.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on June 12, 2015, 01:58:04 PM
Well you just try to go a-lynching without the proper rope and rope supplies.

And it's times like that, that you really need a good supply of BBQ.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 12, 2015, 01:56:28 PM
Rope supplies?  Like all the stuff you need to buy to keep your rope operating efficiently?  :huh:

I'm sure they have every variation of pulley you could imagine. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

lustindarkness

I'm glad I'm not a BBQ snob, I like all of it.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Valmy

Quote from: lustindarkness on June 12, 2015, 02:04:47 PM

BBQ is not a significant part of your rich cultural heritage like it is mine.

In fact whenever I know I am going to be exposed to chili or BBQ I wear a monocle just so it can pop out in shock and outrage.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ideologue

Relatedly, I've found food snobbery to be the major acceptable form of vile classism amongst leftists. I want to set people on fire when they talk shut about the cheap, nutritious food available at Taco Bell, for example, eschewing such peasant food for their craft beers and hipster localhost crap.
Kinemalogue

lustindarkness

Quote from: Valmy on June 12, 2015, 02:06:32 PM
Quote from: lustindarkness on June 12, 2015, 02:04:47 PM

BBQ is not a significant part of your rich cultural heritage like it is mine.

In fact whenever I know I am going to be exposed to chili or BBQ I wear a monocle just so it can pop out in shock and outrage.

Pfff
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Josquius

Barbecue.... Screw you Australia. Eating burned meat on the beach... I just don't get it.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on June 12, 2015, 02:08:36 PM
Relatedly, I've found food snobbery to be the major acceptable form of vile classism amongst leftists. I want to set people on fire when they talk shut about the cheap, nutritious food available at Taco Bell, for example, eschewing such peasant food for their craft beers and hipster localhost crap.

See: John Oliver.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 12, 2015, 02:30:22 PM
See: John Oliver.

You cannot take a comedian's shtick that seriously. I mean he is English how snobby about food could he actually be?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 12, 2015, 01:00:06 PM
Quote from: derspiess on June 12, 2015, 12:46:58 PM
One pet peeve that has been an increasing problem with local BBQ places, food trucks, etc. is when they don't advertise that they put cole slaw on a pulled pork BBQ sandwich and just assume you like it that way.  Bleh.

Cole slaw IN the sandwich?

...is delicious.  Gives it a crunch factor it wouldn't otherwise have.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.