And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: DGuller on May 08, 2015, 03:35:58 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 08, 2015, 03:26:03 PM
Like vampires it is best for us to avoid mirrors.
Mirror images still need to be interpreted by the brain, and that's where self-deception occurs.  I see a lot more hair on my head when I look in the mirror compared to when I look at a photo of myself.

Probably the flash bouncing off your head.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

DGuller

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 08, 2015, 04:05:10 PM
Mirror images still need to be interpreted by the brain, and that's where self-deception occurs.  I see a lot more hair on my head when I look in the mirror compared to when I look at a photo of myself.

:mad:

Admiral Yi

lustindarkness

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 08, 2015, 04:05:10 PM

Thats all my pics. Clean shaven head is like a solar tower reflection. I look like this ---> :)
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

Dammit. The brand-new Challenger's front plate bracket was installed by the dealership by drilling screws through the front bumper. The car was defaced before I even took it home. Assholes.  :glare:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Tonitrus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 08, 2015, 09:13:27 PM
Dammit. The brand-new Challenger's front plate bracket was installed by the dealership by drilling screws through the front bumper. The car was defaced before I even took it home. Assholes.  :glare:

Nice humblebrag.  :D

Ed Anger

Fucker better not have gotten a Hellcat before me. :mad:

Syt

GEMA in Germany is... conterversial. They represent the authors/writers of music (not the copyright holders) and basically, if music is publically playing anywhere, GEMA will be there to make you pay. That can be the music on a phone line while you're in a waiting loop, music you play from tape when your football club is having a party, or artists playing their own songs at concerts.

The burden of proof is on the side of the consumer. If they don't want to pay they have to prove that music is GEMA free which is often very hard to do. It's the reason many YouTube music videos are blocked in Germany, because Google and GEMA couldn't get to an agreement (GEMA wants 1 cent per video view).

Their latest target: in my home state is a group of 10 elderly women, some with dementia, who meet every couple weeks to sing together in a small café that is only open on Sundays. GEMA looks through press articles, and came across them, and sent them a bill for €25.- The ladies will stop meeting, because they're unsure of how to handle the bureacracy and aren't equipped to fight GEMA.

An independent small festival for street musicians will probably stop as well, because they can't afford the EUR 7500.- bill sent retroactively for the last 5 years, and they don't have the means to fight it (they would have to get playlists from all participating musicians, and then go through the list to see what's GEMA and what's not).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on May 09, 2015, 05:19:47 AM
GEMA in Germany is... conterversial. They represent the authors/writers of music (not the copyright holders) and basically, if music is publically playing anywhere, GEMA will be there to make you pay. That can be the music on a phone line while you're in a waiting loop, music you play from tape when your football club is having a party, or artists playing their own songs at concerts.

The burden of proof is on the side of the consumer. If they don't want to pay they have to prove that music is GEMA free which is often very hard to do. It's the reason many YouTube music videos are blocked in Germany, because Google and GEMA couldn't get to an agreement (GEMA wants 1 cent per video view).

Their latest target: in my home state is a group of 10 elderly women, some with dementia, who meet every couple weeks to sing together in a small café that is only open on Sundays. GEMA looks through press articles, and came across them, and sent them a bill for €25.- The ladies will stop meeting, because they're unsure of how to handle the bureacracy and aren't equipped to fight GEMA.

An independent small festival for street musicians will probably stop as well, because they can't afford the EUR 7500.- bill sent retroactively for the last 5 years, and they don't have the means to fight it (they would have to get playlists from all participating musicians, and then go through the list to see what's GEMA and what's not).

Sounds pretty much like SGAE in Spain then. Except burden of proof is on them, at least.

I'm a member btw  :P

Syt

They also suggested a deal to kindergartens where the kindergartens pay 56 p.a. for photocopied song sheets. The state of Bavaria settled with them paying out 290,000 p.a. A main issue with GEMA is how intransparent it is, with a huge share of the money going to a few members who have voting rights.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

Quote from: Syt on May 09, 2015, 09:29:11 AM
They also suggested a deal to kindergartens where the kindergartens pay 56 p.a. for photocopied song sheets. The state of Bavaria settled with them paying out 290,000 p.a. A main issue with GEMA is how intransparent it is, with a huge share of the money going to a few members who have voting rights.

Sounds about on par for an organization with that amount of power.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Ideologue

Fair use is for ugly Americans, I guess.  What a dictatorship.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

I photocopied the sheets to Horst Wessel. Come at me, bro.