News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iormlund

I was surprised at how poor rural areas in Poland still seem. Specially since I've travelled through what used to be Silesia, which is probably much richer than eastern Poland.

MadImmortalMan

Yeah well I was surprised at how poor some rural areas of Oregon are.

Edit: And I've been to Detroit.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Syt

This picture is giving me a headache.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

That pic reminds me of Hypnotoad.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on April 01, 2015, 10:25:05 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 01, 2015, 09:36:20 PM
No price is the same. He's joining my daughter in a bigger daycare.

The best part about our daycare is that all three of my boys are in it together.  And big brother Timmy does in fact look out for his little brothers - I love to see it.

We're however in the process of trying to hire a live-in nanny.  Extremely frustrating process.

But we're doing it because it should be cheaper than the freaking $2300/month we're spending on daycare right now.

I couldn't afford that. I simply would not work.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

alfred russel

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 02, 2015, 02:39:43 AM
It's strange that we're coming full-circle to where it's actually cheaper to hire a Mary Poppins than use a day care.

Probably has something to do with legal liability and the resulting insurance costs.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Martinus

Quote from: Iormlund on April 02, 2015, 04:45:06 AM
I was surprised at how poor rural areas in Poland still seem. Specially since I've travelled through what used to be Silesia, which is probably much richer than eastern Poland.

It depends which part of Silesia.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Ideologue

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 02, 2015, 02:36:16 AM
If he does, that suggests lack of exposure to very young children.

I think lack of exposure to young children is one the very basic requirements for the job. :o

No, I'm just amazed 1)that anyone could afford $2300 a month a gov't salary and 2)that it costs that much in the first place.  Also, I think I might've detected a stealth brag, but Beeb is usually so modest and Christian.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Valmy

That does not strike me as unusual. We pay about $1200 a month for our two kids and we have basically gone bargain basement.

I have observed, that how much you pay does not seem to correlate exactly with the quality of the service. I have been very impressed with the excellence I have experienced with some of the cheaper places and some of the pricey ones seem crap. It really makes a big difference who the owners are and the culture they create.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

frunk

Quote from: Ideologue on April 02, 2015, 09:17:10 AM
I think lack of exposure to young children is one the very basic requirements for the job. :o

No, I'm just amazed 1)that anyone could afford $2300 a month a gov't salary and 2)that it costs that much in the first place.  Also, I think I might've detected a stealth brag, but Beeb is usually so modest and Christian.

Don't check out the price of day care in high cost of living areas.  $2300 a month can easily be the cost for one kid, not three.

Barrister

Quote from: Ideologue on April 02, 2015, 09:17:10 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 02, 2015, 02:36:16 AM
If he does, that suggests lack of exposure to very young children.

Trust me, daycare costs are nothing to brag about. :bleeding:

We both have government salaries.  My wife's salary pays for daycare and a car payment, and then it's gone. :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: frunk on April 02, 2015, 09:22:52 AM
Don't check out the price of day care in high cost of living areas.  $2300 a month can easily be the cost for one kid, not three.

Yep. If you want to spend outrageous amounts of money on your children there are plenty of people who will accommodate you.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

frunk

Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2015, 09:20:56 AM
That does not strike me as unusual. We pay about $1200 a month for our two kids and we have basically gone bargain basement.

I have observed, that how much you pay does not seem to correlate exactly with the quality of the service. I have been very impressed with the excellence I have experienced with some of the cheaper places and some of the pricey ones seem crap. It really makes a big difference who the owners are and the culture they create.

The one we use is one of the cheaper ones that aren't just a person in a house with a lawsuit waiting to happen.  It seems like the chain day cares simultaneously cost more and are a bit crappy.

Barrister

Any day care with a philosophy behind it costs more and is more crappy in my limited experience.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.