News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 13, 2015, 01:31:05 PM
Science!!

Just read in The Economist that if your ring finger is longer than your index, that means you were exposed to more testosterone in the womb, and that correlates to promiscuity.

Which of your fingers is longer?  :ph34r:

That measure has been linked to all sort of characteristics. Agresiveness, sporting ability...

Eddie Teach

I just did; most of them were rather tame.

I did like the one with the Mr Potatoheads lining up for the showers at McDonalds.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

sbr

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on February 14, 2015, 01:03:57 AM
I decided to give up my concrete tower and buy a house.

You picked an inopportune time to do that, right where house prices look to be crashing.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on February 14, 2015, 10:43:21 PM

You picked an inopportune time to do that, right where house prices look to be crashing.

Depends on whether it's financed by equity or cash, no?

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on February 14, 2015, 11:02:05 PM

Not really, no.

When house prices are going down (and with the collapse in the price of oil, they are in Alberta) it makes more sense to buy later when prices are lower.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

It'll be cheaper than paying my rent, short-term fluctuations in housing prices are irrelevant if you're planning on living there long term, I was able to get a great deal by preying on laid off oilfield workers, and as soon as the south line of the LRT comes in the value of the place will go up by at least $50-100k (judging from my experience in what happened when the LRT came to my current neighbourhood).

I felt that it was a good move.  I might have waited a little longer and saved a little more, but I found a place that met my needs almost perfectly, and the time was right vis-a-vis my lease.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on February 15, 2015, 12:13:08 AM
Quote from: Jacob on February 14, 2015, 11:02:05 PM

Not really, no.

When house prices are going down (and with the collapse in the price of oil, they are in Alberta) it makes more sense to buy later when prices are lower.

Yeah, I thought he was looking, not that he'd already purchased... and that he was selling a condo, not ending a lease.

Josquius

Today I went to a weird Japanese culture festival here.
It was of course mostly centred around the crappy angle of cosplay and such shit.
But...I got to meet Japanese people.

I'm really regretting not going to London today. Sure it sucks. But at least I would have been able to meet Japanese regularly there
██████
██████
██████

Tonitrus

Almost sounds like you wanted to stay in Japan.

Josquius

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 15, 2015, 01:32:42 PM
Almost sounds like you wanted to stay in Japan.
That would have been nice too, though a break is good.
Jobs are an issue with Japan though
██████
██████
██████

Zanza

I am currently doing a 1500 Euro training and the coach is wasting the time with an hour of introduction of all participants...

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on February 15, 2015, 01:23:04 PM
Today I went to a weird Japanese culture festival here.
It was of course mostly centred around the crappy angle of cosplay and such shit.
But...I got to meet Japanese people.

I'm really regretting not going to London today. Sure it sucks. But at least I would have been able to meet Japanese regularly there

oh STFU