News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 16, 2014, 12:34:40 AM
Everybody's good enough for some change.

I'm curious, how many panhandlers do you encounter in a typical day?

MadImmortalMan

Me personally? Maybe one, if I happen to go by one of the few onramps where they sometimes hang or if I shop at one of the less reputable grocery stores. Or if it's the week of burning man. The city is swarmed then. I do spend a good amount of time in SF though and that's a completely different story. But at home, not often.

Mainly, I just wanted to quote the song.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Maladict

Quote from: Barrister on September 15, 2014, 10:26:49 PM

Yeah, I'll stick with my "give money to homeless shelters, not the homeless" strategy.

Heh, never thought of that. That's a good idea.  :)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 16, 2014, 02:19:55 AM
Me personally? Maybe one, if I happen to go by one of the few onramps where they sometimes hang or if I shop at one of the less reputable grocery stores. Or if it's the week of burning man. The city is swarmed then. I do spend a good amount of time in SF though and that's a completely different story. But at home, not often.

Mainly, I just wanted to quote the song.  :P

Isn't the song telling you to tip your waitress? :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

Satanists distribute The Satanic Children's Big Book of Activities in Orange County, CA thanks to Christian precedent: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/09/bible-pushing-christians-open-the-door-for-satanic-activity-books-in-florida-schools/

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

The other state that grows lots of oranges.

Malthus

Quote from: Jacob on September 16, 2014, 10:50:03 AM
Satanists distribute The Satanic Children's Big Book of Activities in Orange County, CA thanks to Christian precedent: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/09/bible-pushing-christians-open-the-door-for-satanic-activity-books-in-florida-schools/

Sadly, the article does not detail what activities the Big Book contains.

I strongly suspect they will be boringly earnest, and hardy "satanic" at all.  :(
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josquius

I've just seen the first photo of some of my old students drinking.
I'm conflicted.
I think I missed a trick with the hot ones.
██████
██████
██████

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on September 16, 2014, 12:09:43 AM
Why is Seedy so excited about panhandling?

I want to know why he's so excited about peeing in doorways.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: Tyr on September 16, 2014, 01:05:49 PM
I'm conflicted.

Fear not.

Should you return to Japan - for vacation or to work (as if you wanted to work in Japanese corporate culture) - you can look them up and possibly try to boink them with no moral or professional hazard. You are a grown up now, and an international jet-setter no less; time to get comfortable with the long game (in addition to the short game)

mongers

Quote from: Jacob on September 16, 2014, 02:11:03 PM
Quote from: Tyr on September 16, 2014, 01:05:49 PM
I'm conflicted.

Fear not.

Should you return to Japan - for vacation or to work (as if you wanted to work in Japanese corporate culture) - you can look them up and possibly try to boink them with no moral or professional hazard. You are a grown up now, and an international jet-setter no less; time to get comfortable with the long game (in addition to the short game)

Tyr, this man is wise in the ways of the world, and ethical too.  :cool:

You should make him your guru. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

A Swedish supermarket gave a receipt that included the item "Don't come back! Sieg Heil!". One of the employees apparently didn't like employment.

Eddie Teach

Having worked in a grocery store, I can understand the feeling.

The Brain