News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

There's a big Japanese railroad N-scale modelling club in DC that sponsors rail-centered tours of Japan every year, always thought that would be fun as balls.

Ideologue

Feeling up women is frowned upon if you're not a native.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 04, 2014, 10:36:45 AM
There's a big Japanese railroad N-scale modelling club in DC that sponsors rail-centered tours of Japan every year, always thought that would be fun as balls.

N scale. :bleeding:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 02, 2014, 05:44:04 PM
In these tough economic times, unemployment has fallen to 6.3%.

Has it?  Oh good my plan is working perfectly.  Can this trend continue until say...January?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on May 04, 2014, 03:33:38 PM
Has it?  Oh good my plan is working perfectly.  Can this trend continue until say...January?

There are some indications that it will not.  40% of those unemployed have been unemployed 6 months or longer, and we all know how hard it is for those folks to find a job.

mongers

Got too much sun yesterday, my brother had come round to help fix the roof and guttering, which was nice.   

Good in a way, was reminded me and direct mid-day sunlight after a while don't along well.  <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 04, 2014, 07:47:13 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 04, 2014, 02:18:34 AM
Paying employees also makes a company less competitive.  So does the lack chains to shackle them to their work stations.

As does the inability to torture people who don't buy your product, or the inability to murder your competitors.

Indeed.  Simply because it makes a company less competitive is not a enough of a compelling reason to not do it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: mongers on May 04, 2014, 03:47:32 PM
Got too much sun yesterday, my brother had come round to help fix the roof and guttering, which was nice.   

Good in a way, was reminded me and direct mid-day sunlight after a while don't along well.  <_<
Take a siesta.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on May 04, 2014, 03:47:32 PM

Edit, cause I like this pic better.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Yep, that's way better.   :)

Conversly, up until recently in google earth, you could just make out the shape of my cat on one of the shed roofs, that cat spent hours up there in sunlight, sometime in shade if it was really,really hot.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on May 04, 2014, 03:56:58 PM
Indeed.  Simply because it makes a company less competitive is not a enough of a compelling reason to not do it.

Can  you see any differences between torture and hiring a person who is not a union member?

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 04, 2014, 04:16:02 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 04, 2014, 03:56:58 PM

Can  you see any differences between torture and hiring a person who is not a union member?

Yes, but the answer you gave to "why unions are bad" is because make the company less competitive and that was all.  That by itself is insufficient.  I even question the degree that is even true.  Minor losses in competitiveness, such as investing in a safe work environment, abolishing child labor, ending the use of slaves, and not hiring goons to murder troublesome workers don't strike me as that bad and well worth the costs.  All of these practices were used in the US.  I don't think the torture thing ever was.

Chaining people to their work stations and not paying them is still used today.  I don't know how much torture is used against prospective customers is though.  I point this out, so you don't mistake my statements as some wild hyperbole.

[ Note:  I avoided making an excellent snarky comment, in the spirit of brotherhood and love]
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Admiral Yi

OK. 

Unions are bad because they tend to render the companies they work for uncompetitive, and hiring a non-union worker is not torture, or some other bad thing like torture.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 04, 2014, 06:11:06 PM
OK. 

Unions are bad because they tend to render the companies they work for uncompetitive, and hiring a non-union worker is not torture, or some other bad thing like torture.

No.  They may render a company less competitive.  But I'll bite.  Let's say you are right and Unions are bad because they make a company less competitive.  My understanding of your argument is that simply making a business less competitive is a bad thing. So is abolishing slavery and child labor or building safety exits in a factory also bad because they make the employer less competitive?

I have no idea where you get this torture thing.  Do you know of any company that tortures it's customers for profit?  I wasn't aware of any business practice past or present that involved this.