News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

So I looked up "zoocephaly" to see if there was a more general equivalent to "cynocephaly" (dogheadedness, in mythology).  Google asked me if I meant to look up "otocephaly" and provided me a helpful link.

Christ, I definitely did not mean otocephaly.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Caliga

Quote from: Caliga on August 23, 2013, 08:53:27 PM
I just watched the ISS pass overhead. :nerd:
Saw it again tonight. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

QuoteGoldman Sachs Announces They're Blowing Up A Nursing Home And There's Nothing Anyone Can Do About It
News in Brief • finance • News • ISSUE 49•34 • Aug 23, 2013

NEW YORK—Executive board members of Goldman Sachs called an afternoon press conference today to announce they will be exploding a local intermediate care facility, adding that "we're doing it, and there's basically nothing anyone can do about it." "We decided today we really want to blow up a nursing home, so we're going to do that and, honestly, I can't think of a single thing that any one of you could possibly do to stop us—in fact, I'd like to see you try," said company chairman and CEO Lloyd Blankfein, who later added that residents of the Ocean Trail Care Center in Jamaica, Queens "can leave the facility if they want, or stay right there for all we care, but either way that whole damn nursing home is going up in smoke at 6 p.m." "So, anyway, that's what's going on. We're placing the explosive charges now and, again, you are all completely powerless to stop us. Have a good day and fuck all of you." At press time, well, they did it.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

MadImmortalMan

Lettow--Why do they sometimes give characters from Osaka southern US accents when dubbing shows and movies?

Is that the way people from Tokyo view Osakans?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

jimmy olsen

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 25, 2013, 03:48:28 AM
Lettow--Why do they sometimes give characters from Osaka southern US accents when dubbing shows and movies?

Is that the way people from Tokyo view Osakans?
They have a distinctive accent, but I always thought a fast taking NYC accent would make more sense. Osakans are supposed to be all about living fast and making money.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

I'm not a big anime watcher but I've not heard of Osakans as southern US people, hmm...

The most sensible way would be Tokyo as London and Osaka as NY.
Tohoku is of course northern, with Aomori being the thickest Glaswegian
██████
██████
██████

Ed Anger

Only pooped once so far.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Read a review of a book in the NYT comparing educational systems in 3 countries that perform at the top in international rankings.  The explanation it offers for Finland's performance: teaching programs at universities are very competitive and only take top students.

MadImmortalMan

Sometimes I think the purpose of HGTV is to make women look bad.

Take House Hunters:

Husband: It's a hundred thousand over our budget.

Wife: Idon'tcareIwantIwanttralalalalalalalala!!!
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ed Anger

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 25, 2013, 05:12:03 PM

Take House Hunters:

Husband: It's a hundred thousand over our budget.

Wife: Idon'tcareIwantIwanttralalalalalalalala!!!

I like it when an American chick is on the international version and they throw a fit that the old French farmhouse doesn't have granite countertops. Stupid American cunt.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 25, 2013, 05:12:03 PM

You mean like Lifetime, E!, Bravo, TLC...
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

Talking HGTV, I don't understand the American & ROC fascination with On suite bathrooms or rather how guests cannot, under any circumstances crap in the same bathroom that you do.

That & how on, say Property Virgins, existing kitchen appliances seem to be a deal breaker. You are a buying a 500k$ house and there's 2k$ of ugly appliances. Don't buy them!

Does the US HGTV have Deck Wars? That show makes me want to burn down entire forests just to deny them the lumber!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 25, 2013, 05:02:19 PM
Read a review of a book in the NYT comparing educational systems in 3 countries that perform at the top in international rankings.  The explanation it offers for Finland's performance: teaching programs at universities are very competitive and only take top students.
For that restriction to be effective, doesn't that require loads of applicants?  Something else has to be compelling people to try to get in.