The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

That's not how it works.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 09, 2013, 03:50:26 PM
Who was it that mentioned the leaked story about NSA surveillance?

Surprised that this story is getting so little coverage.

Pro Obama bias in the media?

Journalists cowed by AP warrants?

Nothing story?

I've been following it in the news, and getting more and more infuriated. This whole thing pissed me off when the Patriot Act was initially passed, and I'm pissed that Obama is using it now to do the same stuff. No warrants. No indication that there was just cause.

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

DGuller

SAME.  FUCKING.  TIRE. :bleeding:

mongers

Quote from: DGuller on June 09, 2013, 08:40:07 PM

Don't you mean wheel, it's the tyres that you keep having to replace? :unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: mongers on June 09, 2013, 09:30:12 PM
Quote from: DGuller on June 09, 2013, 08:40:07 PM

Don't you mean wheel, it's the tyres that you keep having to replace? :unsure:

Touché, though colloquially he has it right.

And I popped the same fucking tire...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Phillip V

Quote from: alfred russel on June 09, 2013, 09:49:16 AM

I think he may have been playing to the convention of the time that powerful men did not want power but instead took it as an obligation. Washington made a lot of comments along those lines, but then he ended up at the center of the fray quite a bit in his life. The same thing happens when every pope says he really didn't want to be pope.

Only because he was needed. After the American Revolution ended, Washington quickly resigned control of the Continental Army in 1783 and did not take any position of power in the U.S. under the Articles of Confederation through to its end in 1789. By the time he became President, all of his teeth had fallen out except for one.

DGuller

Well, those were fun 4 hours.  NYC Roads 4 - DGuller 0.

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

I get an headache from reading in Swedish. It's kind of like reading this (with the occasional words that aren't similar to Danish):

QuoteAoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

But it's the only source my history teacher chose about the Eastern European Jewry.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/hillary-clinton-starts-tweeting-172204268.html

Glad yahoo could break this down for me:

QuoteHillary Clinton issued her first tweet on Monday, causing a stir in social media as well as in the political world.

The former secretary of state used her maiden tweet, sent from her new @HillaryClinton account, to cheekily capitalize on the 2012 "Texts from Hillary" Tumblr meme, writing to that site's creators:

Thanks for the inspiration @ASmith83 & @Sllambe - I'll take it from here... #tweetsfromhillary

Clinton in 2012 met with the "Texts from Hillary" Tumblr's creators and even issued her own submission.

Clinton's new Twitter account for now offers no direct mention of the 2016 presidential bid she is widely assumed to be considering, but she alludes to it in her profile. "Wife, mom, lawyer, women & kids advocate, FLOAR, FLOTUS, US Senator, SecState, author, dog owner, hair icon, pantsuit aficionado, glass ceiling cracker, TBD...," the profile reads.
TBD indeed.

Forty minutes after her tweet, Clinton's account showed she had more than 48,000 followers.

DGuller

I don't see anything bad in having Yahoo! writers relay the tweets to us, as long as it keeps them from writing more articles on Yahoo!.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on June 10, 2013, 09:14:47 AM
That is disgusting.

I guess you won't be wanting a Senhor Testiculo doll for Xmas, then.  :(
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on June 10, 2013, 01:43:18 PM
I don't see anything bad in having Yahoo! writers relay the tweets to us, as long as it keeps them from writing more articles on Yahoo!.

:D

garbon

http://www.theonion.com/articles/report-get-back-to-fucking-work,32766

QuoteReport: Get Back To Fucking Work

An alarming new labor report released just moments ago has concluded that you should stop reading this article right now and get the fuck back to work. "The very latest findings indicate that not one word of what you're currently reading is even tangentially related to your job, and that you certainly weren't hired to sit around browsing the goddamn internet all day," an expert familiar with the report said while your eyes continued to scan this block of text instead of tending to one of the many unopened work-related emails in your inbox. "I don't know how I can make this any clearer: This report is directed specifically at you. You should not be reading this. You should be working, asshole." The report concluded that while there are 12 million unemployed Americans who would be extremely grateful to have your job, you seem to think you are entitled to use company time to read this article to the very last goddamn sentence.

:lol: