And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

11B4V

This jet always has a distinctive sound to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X4peI53_so

You cant tell from this clip, but these fuckers coming ahead on at you, are quiet as shit, until it's to late.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Ideologue

Quote from: 11B4V on April 21, 2013, 01:32:27 AM
Quote from: Syt on April 21, 2013, 01:20:07 AM
Well, we have already established that you have a shitty taste in contemporary movies, so . . . .  :P

Oh ye of little faith in Ridley Scott.
Prometheus
7.2/10-IMDb
74%-Rotten Tomatoes
65%- Meta

btw I think you have me confused with Total Recall (2012) loving Yi/Tyr
6.3/10-IMDb
31%-Rotten Tomatoes
45%-Meta

or the Oblivion loving CdM/Berkut.  It's really blazing the numbers too.  :lol:
7.2/10-IMDb
59%-Rotten Tomatoes
55%-meta

I think I'm safe. ;)

Holy fucking moly, Oblivion is scoring lower than Prometheus?

Yeah, I'm the one who shouldn't review movies.  Jesus Christ.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on April 21, 2013, 10:08:46 PM

I haven't seen it yet.  :huh:

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 21, 2013, 10:10:09 PM

Damn, flag on the play  :o. What's the ruling?  :huh:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 21, 2013, 10:10:09 PM

And I saw five minutes of Total Recall and said the production values looked good.

I think Before and his buddies have been trading rubber bullets to the head for funsies.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on April 21, 2013, 09:44:36 PM
And Lola's awake.  Daddy Sunday is going into extra innings :mellow:

Doesn't look like the Cards are.  That was a fucking moon shot.

katmai

Cards game isn't.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

katmai

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 21, 2013, 10:18:40 PM

Doesn't look like the Cards are.  That was a fucking moon shot.

OMG Jinx!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

derspiess

To hell with both of you.  Dunno why I was even bothering to watch.  Tie ballgame in the bottom of the 8th-- it's guaranteed that the Cards' shitty bullpen will implode.

Catching up on my Parks & Recreation now.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

PDH

Quote from: 11B4V on April 21, 2013, 09:32:19 PM
Love the sound of the Maybach engines. They do have some tuning to do though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsodIneQGzI

Worthless engine to put in a tank.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

11B4V

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on April 21, 2013, 04:27:49 PM
Quote from: Tamas on April 21, 2013, 04:25:10 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 21, 2013, 02:27:00 PM
Quote from: Tamas on April 21, 2013, 01:23:21 PM
whats the big deal with all the N-words in Django Unchained? Didn't backward texasians talk that way at the time? So why shouldn't it be full of the word?

You're joking with your initial question right?

I vaguely recall reading something somewhere about it being used too much for effect, or such. I just watched it. I readily admit I am no expert of the vocabulary custom of the 1850s American South, but I would not imagine it far fetched to assume that they would not have trouble throwing the word around when referring to black people. :unsure:

Okay so you weren't. You can't see why some people might think a reviled word in America didn't need to be thrown about so frequently? And why "historical accuracy" could be seen as a weak defense in a movie that is more like historical fantasy?

I personally didn't take issue with it - but it seems pretty easy to envision why someone might.

I get that, but the movie depicts a vile, repulsing racist world. Why should not the characters who reveal in that nightmare be heard using the N-word? Would not it be ridicoulous, and wishy-washy to have slavers and overseers and whatnot say "black" or something?