News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 12, 2012, 12:24:01 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 12, 2012, 05:17:36 AM
Hey Lettow, check out "Anime that Jazz" on Youtube. They're a band that does Jazz renditions of anime theme songs. Pretty damn good, though I wish I could find some more jazz like was written for Cowboy Bebop and Baccano. It's quite fast and uptempo, not sure what subgenre it falls under.

Look up some Buddy Rich.
Just what I wanted, thanks! :)
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Lulz, lack of regulatory control = population boom control

Quote19 killed as elevator plunges 30 floors in China
By The Associated Press

BEIJING -- A platform elevator at a construction site in southern China dropped 30 floors in a free fall on Thursday, killing 19 workers, Chinese state media reported.

The accident happened Thursday in Wuhan city in Hubei province, according to the official Xinhua News Agency.

The elevator fell 328 feet, according to a government notice posted by local Wuhan newspapers on their official microblogging sites.

The notice said the municipal government would halt all construction in Wuhan for security checks.

Work safety is a big problem in China, where regulations are routinely ignored.

Although the government says it is taking measures to reduce fatalities, more than 75,500 people died in work-related accidents last year, according to the State Administration of Work Safety.

mongers

Looking at items on a Chinese auction site and one seller has photos to illustrate the various international couriers they use, can you spot the odd one out:

Hint:
in googling for EMS couriers they seem to have chosen the first van turned up by searching for ems:

:cool:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

I can see them using that fifth courier option for certain products that they might be selling.  :ph34r:

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 13, 2012, 10:27:19 AM

By The Associated Press

BEIJING -- A platform elevator at a construction site in southern China dropped 30 floors in a free fall on Thursday, killing 19 workers, Chinese state media reported.

The accident happened Thursday in Wuhan city in Hubei province, according to the official Xinhua News Agency.

The elevator fell 328 feet, according to a government notice posted by local Wuhan newspapers on their official microblogging sites.

The notice said the municipal government would halt all construction in Wuhan for security checks.

Although the government says it is taking measures to reduce fatalities, more than 75,500 people died in work-related accidents last year, according to the State Administration of Work Safety.

I was wondering if that number was high, simply due to their higher population, but seeing we had 4,690 in 2010, they'd need a population of 4.8 billion to match the ratio.  :P

mongers

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 13, 2012, 04:50:08 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 13, 2012, 10:27:19 AM

By The Associated Press

I was wondering if that number was high, simply due to their higher population, but seeing we had 4,690 in 2010, they'd need a population of 4.8 billion to match the ratio.  :P

Yeah but they're still building and making shit. 

The building programs and infrastructure work going on in China may be the largest seen in human history.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

MadImmortalMan

They're building miles and miles of empty cityscape. It's nuts.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on September 13, 2012, 04:45:40 PM
I can see them using that fifth courier option for certain products that they might be selling.  :ph34r:

If you put the cooler in a plane it will still get there faster.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: alfred russel on September 11, 2012, 06:42:59 PM
If the source of that is the EU, I'm sure it is well vetted and accurate. The general theme makes sense.

Reform the Kingdom of Lotharingia!
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 13, 2012, 05:29:57 PM
They're building miles and miles of empty cityscape. It's nuts.

And a bit creepy.  Wonder how much of it will crumble before it's occupied.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

This new T-Mobile chick is hotter than the original one.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

I got an email from LinkedIn asking me if I knew Bootsy Collins :huh:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on September 14, 2012, 10:56:55 AM
I got an email from LinkedIn asking me if I knew Bootsy Collins :huh:

:lol:  Well? Did you?