News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

lustindarkness

That would explain the "skips" in the HD channels yesterday. <_< Damn sun ruining my TV experience.  :mad:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Grey Fox

http://www.archives.gov/research/foreign-policy/katyn-massacre/

New documents show that the US top brass knew about Katyn & covered it up.

Our Portuguese friend is going to rob this off in our face often.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on September 11, 2012, 01:01:29 AM
Joseph A Bank:  Good or teh suck?  Anyone ever buy anything from this place?  Their website has some interesting sales going on.  Like a whole suit for $130 on clearance type thing.

Their radio commercials annoy the hell out of me.  But I've had a couple shirts and a sport coat from there & was pleased with them.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 11, 2012, 11:45:35 AM

As anti-Soviet and disgusted with how we let our guard down against the Soviets in the 40s as I am, I don't see how we were in a position to do anything but bury what we knew for the time being.  Now as early as 1946 we should have publicized the hell out of it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Agreed.  Poland sealed its fate when it botched the union with Lithuania.  From then on, its concerns would always be secondary to the concerns of the great powers involved with it one way or the other.

Razgovory

Oh, I don't doubt that.  Everyone knew.  The Soviet excuses were lame.  The US and Britain did make an honest attempt to bridge differences with the Soviets.  The Soviets just spat in our faces.  I think it's good that we at least made the effort to be the nice guys.  I think the US acted appropriately.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josephus

Pfffft....I've known about katyn for years. About time the US brass got wind of what happened there.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: ulmont on September 11, 2012, 07:31:13 AM
MbM, about half my suits and all my current dress pants are from Jos A Banks.  Never pay more than 50% of sticker price - there will be another sale in a week - and know that they want to make their money on marked up tailoring, but the quality is pretty good.

Quote from: CDMOh yeah, they make pretty good stuff, but it's overpriced without the sales.  And they have a shitload of sales all the time.  Very good suits.

Although I've sort of migrated to Charles Tyrwhitt.

Quote from: derspiessTheir radio commercials annoy the hell out of me.  But I've had a couple shirts and a sport coat from there & was pleased with them.

Right on.  I went ahead and ordered it.  $133 including tax and shipping.  I guess normally it would have been $600 something or whatever, so nowhere near their regular price.  As far as tailoring goes, I've got a joint I go to nearby, so I'm good to go there.  Appreciate the responses dudes.  :)

CountDeMoney

My Dad gave me about 5 of his Jos A Banks suits recently;  he's retired now, doesn't need 'em.  And besides, various shades of blue and slate gray never go out of style.

Edit:  try their Traveler line of shirts while you're at it, MbM.

MadImmortalMan

Paying for tailoring doesn't seem such an issue when you're saving $400 on the suit.  :P

Farm that out 3rd party though. Don't use the store or your local dry cleaners. I go to an old jewish guy named Leo.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 10, 2012, 02:34:46 AM
I would have thought as well Elsass would be green(er).

Elsass?  What are you some sort of traitor?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 11, 2012, 04:07:13 PM
Edit:  try their Traveler line of shirts while you're at it, MbM.

Will do. 

Razgovory

Quote from: Malthus on September 11, 2012, 09:08:27 AM
Quote from: garbon on September 11, 2012, 08:44:20 AM
Quote from: Malthus on September 11, 2012, 08:40:42 AM
Quote from: sbr on September 11, 2012, 04:04:17 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 11, 2012, 02:36:26 AM
Well, at least he's happy.  I could think of a lot worse ways for him to be spending his time.

Making a suit from his room mate's skin.

Well, creative handicrafts are never really a waste of time.

This is real life, not dwarf fortress. ;)

Well, in real life making a suit out of your roommate's skin would take a lot of skill.  :) I mean, how many people even know how to flay and tan skin?

Tell me about it.  To really do it you need like 3 or 4 different people.  It's also not very elastic and tears really easily  To top it off, you don't really convince anyone.  Everyone just stops and stares.  Sometimes there is screaming.  Total waste of three weeks of work.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 09, 2012, 08:58:25 PM
:hmm:

If the source of that is the EU, I'm sure it is well vetted and accurate. The general theme makes sense. But I'm rather surprised that the Warsaw region is on par with most of France and Eastern Germany and above parts of the UK.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014