I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Ed Anger

Too many pages to click through.

So, Berchegarden.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

Poorest, 169 miles; 3.5 hours from Rutland, Vermont.

Richest, 373 miles; 6 hours from Scarsdale, New York.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Monoriu

I'm just a few clicks away from poverty.  Like, every time I do online banking. 

merithyn

Cairo, IL, is on the bottom tip of Illinois; Wilmette, IL, is near the top; and we're midway between both.
Yesterday, upon the stair,

Admiral Yi

Meri, where is Johnston City IA?  Link says it's the richest town in Iowa but I've never heard of it.

Caliga

Somebody tell me Kentucky.  For some reason work web filters blocked the site and I don't feel like disabling WebSense right now.  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

QuoteHarrodsburg, Kentucky
> Town median household income: $29,495
> State median household income: $43,036 (4th lowest)
> Town poverty rate: 23.2%
> Town population: 8,365

In Kentucky, 16.2% of households earned less than $10,000 per year, slightly more than the 7.2% of American households that made less than $10,000 annually. The corresponding figure in Harrodsburg was more than double the national figure at 16.2%. More than 23% of Harrodsburg residents lived below the poverty line, more than double the national poverty rate of 11.3%
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Caliga on June 10, 2015, 01:08:11 PM
Somebody tell me Kentucky.  For some reason work web filters blocked the site and I don't feel like disabling WebSense right now.  :)

Poorest: Harrodsburg, $29,495.  State median is 43,606.

Richest: seems like they don't give the richest in each state, just the 10 richest in the country.

But if you're interested which of the top 10 you're closest to, it's Winnetka Village Illinois (Chicagoland).  $211,250.  All the other top tenners are on the coasts.  3 in Jersey, which is perhaps only slightly counterintuitive.

Caliga

:lol: Harrodsburg most definitely is not the poorest town in Kentucky.  It's not even close.  The poorest towns are either going to be up in Appalachia (like around Harlan County, where Ed's kinfolk come from), or down in the Purchase (far western Kentucky).

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Caliga on June 10, 2015, 01:24:49 PM
:lol: Harrodsburg most definitely is not the poorest town in Kentucky.  It's not even close.  The poorest towns are either going to be up in Appalachia (like around Harlan County, where Ed's kinfolk come from), or down in the Purchase (far western Kentucky).

You doubt the metode og data?  :mad:

My guess is that in places like Harlan County poor folk are either a) living in an unincorporated part, or b) living with an extended family, which boosts household income.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 10, 2015, 12:26:33 PM
Meri, where is Johnston City IA?  Link says it's the richest town in Iowa but I've never heard of it.

Suburb of Des Moines. Out near West Des Moines.
Yesterday, upon the stair,

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 10, 2015, 01:37:19 PM
You doubt the metode og data?  :mad:

My guess is that in places like Harlan County poor folk are either a) living in an unincorporated part, or b) living with an extended family, which boosts household income.
I don't give a shit what the data says.  I've been to Harrodsburg several times and it's not that poor.  I've been to much, much poorer areas.  There's an area in southeast Kentucky near Lake Cumberland where the rich people live in mobile homes, and the poor people live in rusted out school buses and corrugated metal shacks.  I'm totally not joking man.  To your point, this was a very rural area most definitely not incorporated, but I've been to poorer towns than Harrodsburg.  Examples include London, Corbin, Liberty, Stanford, Lebanon, Brockway, Ogdenville, and North Haverbrook. :sleep: