News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How to Join the 1%

Started by Monoriu, May 21, 2015, 04:53:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Because I need to?  Methinks the calculator is being a bit generous.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

I'm not taking that test. I'm middle class.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on May 21, 2015, 08:40:30 AM
Quote from: Caliga on May 21, 2015, 08:37:32 AM
0.2%  :ph34r:

So why are you still working?

I put in $100,000 post tax for US and it told me that was 0.1% for the world...(and with 2 people same household income, 0.8%).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Caliga on May 21, 2015, 08:45:25 AM

Yeah, I'm in the "1%" according to this calculator, but I couldn't just retire right now and go live in a castle in Normandy or whatever.  Because I totally would if I could.

I could be a godking in Haiti, I guess, but I'm just a regular dude here.

Caliga

I wouldn't.  I would quickly get bored.  I like working.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on May 21, 2015, 08:51:13 AM
I put in $100,000 post tax for US and it told me that was 0.1% for the world...(and with 2 people same household income, 0.8%).

Huh. I am not that much lower than that (I mean making 100,000 for two working adults is not that mindblowing of an accomplishment). I guess it is because I have two kids. They are not that expensive.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on May 21, 2015, 08:53:30 AM

You would get bored being able to direct your energies based on your own priorities? It is not like not being a wage slave means you have to sleep until noon everyday. You can work on things just because they interest you or you personally find them important, it does not have to be corporate bullshit.

But actually I don't know what exactly your job is besides the fact it sounds like an office environment for a big company. Maybe it is just incredibly interesting and personally valuable.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Caliga on May 21, 2015, 08:53:30 AM

My job is boring already, so I'm used to that.   :P   

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on May 21, 2015, 08:45:25 AM

Yeah I didn't get the idea you were filling your money bin.

Richard Hakluyt

2.8% here, but lose the kids and it goes up to 0.8%.................intuitively that just doesn't seem right  :hmm:

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on May 21, 2015, 08:55:05 AM
But actually I don't know what exactly your job is besides the fact it sounds like an office environment for a big company. Maybe it is just incredibly interesting and personally valuable.
Of course you don't, as Money was the resident expert on what I did around here and drowned out my own attempts to explain it. :D

I am a financial systems admin.  I run my company's financial ERP from which we do all of our accounting and finance work.

Valmy

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on May 21, 2015, 08:59:59 AM
2.8% here, but lose the kids and it goes up to 0.8%.................intuitively that just doesn't seem right  :hmm:

I mean if you look at our budget before and after kids the only big deal is the daycare and that is going to go away soon. Hardly a soul crushing burden.

Caliga

The other reason why that calculator is stupid is because it doesn't ask WHERE you live beyond the country.  It is dirt cheap to live where I do.

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on May 21, 2015, 09:01:42 AM
I am a financial systems admin.  I run my company's financial ERP from which we do all of our accounting and finance work.

Fascinating. So do you consider yourself in league with the axis of Dguller-Dorsey or merely an associate power?

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on May 21, 2015, 09:02:54 AM
The other reason why that calculator is stupid is because it doesn't ask WHERE you live beyond the country.  It is dirt cheap to live where I do.

And it thinks it is cheaper to live in NYC or LA than Cornwall.