Saudis decide to buy nukes from Pakistan due to Iran deal

Started by jimmy olsen, May 18, 2015, 03:30:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

:bleeding: :bleeding: :bleeding: :bleeding: :bleeding:

http://www.thetower.org/2046-report-saudis-to-buy-nuke-from-pakistan-in-response-to-iran-deal/

QuoteUS officials: 'Saudis set to buy nuclear weapons from Pakistan'

By Yasmin Kaye
    May 17, 2015 16:49 BST

Saudi Arabia is said to have taken the "strategic decision" to acquire "off-the-shelf" nuclear weapons from ally Pakistan, senior US officials told the Sunday Times.

Sunni Arab states are increasingly concerned of the repercussions of a deal currently being negotiated between world powers and Shi'ite rival Iran, which they fear may still be able to develop a nuclear bomb.

The deal being negotiated between Iran and the permanent members of the UN Security Council and Germany would see the Shi'ite nation curb its sensitive nuclear programme in exchange for sanctions relief.

"For the Saudis the moment has come," a former US defence official told the Sunday Times last week.

"There has been a long-standing agreement in place with the Pakistanis and the House of Saud has now made the strategic decision to move forward."

'This stuff is available to them off the shelf'

Another US official working in intelligence told the paper that "hundreds of people at [CIA headquarters] Langley" were working to establish whether Islamabad had already supplied the Gulf nation with nuclear technology or weaponry.

"We know this stuff is available to them off the shelf," the intelligence official said, adding that it "has to be the assumption" that the Saudis have decided to become a nuclear power.

"We can't sit back and be nowhere as Iran is allowed to retain much of its capability and amass its research," an Arab leader preparing to meet Obama told the New York Times on Monday (11 May).

The sentiment was shared by former Saudi intelligence chief Prince Turki bin Faisal, who told a recent conference in South Korea: "whatever the Iranians have, we will have, too."

The right to enrich uranium

If inked the deal will leave 5,000 centrifuges and a research and development programme in place —  features that are highly contested by Israel and Arab states.

By allowing Iran to retain the right to enrich uranium, the deal may inadvertently increase nuclear proliferation in the region, by providing justification for other Middle Eastern countries to match Iran.

Saudi Arabia has financed substantial amounts of Islamabad's nuclear programme over the past three decades, providing Pakistan's government with billions of dollars of subsidised oil while taking delivery of Shaheen mobile ballistic missiles.

"Given their close relations and close military links, it's long been assumed that if the Saudis wanted, they would call in a commitment, moral or otherwise, for Pakistan to supply them immediately with nuclear warheads," former Foreign Secretary Lord David Owen told the Sunday Times.

A senior British military officer also told the paper that Western military leaders "all assume the Saudis have made the decision to go nuclear."

"The fear is that other Middle Eastern powers — Turkey and Egypt — may feel compelled to do the same and we will see a new, even more dangerous, arms race."

Lt.Gen. Khalid Kidwai, who helped develop Pakistan's nuclear program, denied Islamabad had ever sent nuclear technology to Saudi Arabia or any other country in recent comments.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Oh no, this could result in the Middle Eastern countries annihilating each other completely in a mutually assured destruction nuclear exchange.  :hmm:

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on May 18, 2015, 03:33:43 AM
Oh no, this could result in the Middle Eastern countries annihilating each other completely in a mutually assured destruction nuclear exchange.  :hmm:

Oh noes :(

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on May 18, 2015, 03:54:19 AM

Considering that studies say that even a limited nuclear exchange could severely affect global radiation levels and climate, I'd say "Oh noes" indeed.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Syt on May 18, 2015, 04:23:32 AM
Quote from: Tamas on May 18, 2015, 03:54:19 AM

Considering that studies say that even a limited nuclear exchange could severely affect global radiation levels and climate, I'd say "Oh noes" indeed.
US and USSR tested a thousand warheads between us, an exchange between the Arabs and Iranians will not have any where that number.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

I think the real worry for the Western world would be the presently unimaginable level of refugees and utter chaos in a huge region even with a conventional war, let alone a nuclear exchange.

grumbler

I wonder how the Iranian leadership managed to so neatly mousetrap Saudi Arabia into willingly advancing the interests of the Iranian radicals.  Iran now isn't developing a destabilizing bomb, it is merely restoring the balance after the Saudis acquired nuclear weapons.

If brains were dynamite, King Salman couldn't blow his nose.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Warspite

Oh my god everyone, proliferation is spreading!!11  :o
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Agelastus

Quote from: derspiess on May 18, 2015, 08:01:54 AM
Quote from: Syt on May 18, 2015, 04:31:04 AM
http://www.ippnw.org/nuclear-famine.html

We'd get through it.  Tim made a surprisingly good point.

Not really; he would have been better off stating that it was unlikely that an Arab-Iranian exchange would involve anywhere near a 100 warheads for the foreseeable future.

His actual point about the warheads is a case of apples and oranges when you think about it for a while. For example, of the over 2000 nuclear tests that have been carried out since 1945 over 1500 of them have been underground, whereas the weapons used in any nuclear exchange would all be airburst weapons. The 500+ atmospheric tests took place over a period of 35 years with a global geographical dispersion; that's a lot different from the article's specification of a 100 weapons going off in, at most, a few days at in a fairly small geographical location. A manmade 535/6 event type scenario, in other words.

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Norgy

The bigger worry here is that ISI and Saudi intelligence tend to lend a hand and look sideways when certain types of, ehm, committed religious people have a look around their inventory.

Razgovory

One of the assumptions about nuclear winter scenarios is that the weapons go off over populated areas.  I am skeptical that the resulting firestorms would put smoke high enough into the atmosphere to cause long term change.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017