Couple found guilty of having sex on Florida beach

Started by DGuller, May 05, 2015, 08:52:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Martinus on May 05, 2015, 09:50:23 AM
Why do conservatives fear sex so much?
Having fun = BAD.  No drinking, dancing, and fornication allowed!  Just sit around praising JEEBUS all day! :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on May 05, 2015, 09:17:39 AM
Without going into the question of whether or not having a sex offender registry is a good idea - if this is the stuff that gets you on it, the list becomes pretty useless when it comes to gauging whether someone is a dangerous sex criminal.

Yep. This is the kind of thing I have been talking about for years. There is nothing to differentiate whether somebody had sex with their 15 year old partner at 18 or whether or not one is a serial rapist.

It is basically used to destroy people and not to actually keep the public safe.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on May 05, 2015, 09:52:14 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 05, 2015, 09:01:26 AM
I hope the sex was worth it.

Would you say the same thing to the gay teenagers hanged in Iran few years ago? Because that would make you as douchebaggy.

Yeah that was some pretty fucked up shit for garbon to say.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

they are afraid that, if society tolerates public sex, it will become more open to tolerating public dancing.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Malthus

Quote from: DGuller on May 05, 2015, 09:33:51 AM
Quote from: Syt on May 05, 2015, 09:17:39 AM
Without going into the question of whether or not having a sex offender registry is a good idea - if this is the stuff that gets you on it, the list becomes pretty useless when it comes to gauging whether someone is a dangerous sex criminal.
Has it ever been its purpose?  Americans just have this very dangerous tendency to identify people they don't want to be part of their society, and then hit them hard with any means at their disposal.

The problem is also that the mechanism for dividing the lambs from the wolves seems rather screwy.

Pretty well everone I know has, at some point or another, used an illegal drug, or had sex in public - often at much the same time.  :lol: Oh, to be 19-24 or so again ...

None have, to my knowledge, ever robbed people, committed acts of violence, or the like; it strikes me that society ought to reserve serious sanctions for that.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on May 05, 2015, 09:23:35 AM
But pretty useful in ensuring someone never obtains gainful employment again.

..and for the record, I'm strongly opposed to lifelong offender registries.  If you're not going to allow someone to be a functional, productive member of society, then just keep them in prison.

Yep.

Valmy

I don't think Conservatives are actually for this. It is one of those unintended consequences of a law meant to deal with something else. And it is damn hard to get them reformed or repealed.

Despite this it is still damn hard to lock up actual rapists so...go figure.

Martinus

What I find rather disappointing is that massive explosion of privacy breaches due to Facebook etc has not yet resulted in employers of the younger generation essentially saying "fuck this shit" and starting to ignore this in employment decisions. I thought we would eventually reach the critical mass.

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on May 05, 2015, 10:03:06 AM
What I find rather disappointing is that massive explosion of privacy breaches due to Facebook etc has not yet resulted in employers of the younger generation essentially saying "fuck this shit" and starting to ignore this in employment decisions. I thought we would eventually reach the critical mass.

Ignoring criminal records?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Also, why does the judge not have discretion in sentencing? Is this a "sentencing guidelines" thing?

QuoteRonald Kurpiers, defense attorney for the couple, said his clients were "devastated," by the verdict. Though Dafonseca hinted that they'd be speaking with the judge about whether or not 15 years was appropriate for Caballero, Kurpiers said the judge would have no discretion.

"That's what he'll get," Kurpiers said.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Syt

Quote from: Malthus on May 05, 2015, 10:18:59 AM
Also, why does the judge not have discretion in sentencing? Is this a "sentencing guidelines" thing?

QuoteRonald Kurpiers, defense attorney for the couple, said his clients were "devastated," by the verdict. Though Dafonseca hinted that they'd be speaking with the judge about whether or not 15 years was appropriate for Caballero, Kurpiers said the judge would have no discretion.

"That's what he'll get," Kurpiers said.

Better than if he's facing re-election and doesn't want to be seen as soft on crime? Or worse?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.